Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electricians advice RE: cold tumble dryer

holdtight
Grafter

Hi all
Is there an electrician amongst you who can advise me regarding my tumble dryer
the heating element is no longer heating up and what i need to find out is whether its the element itself thats gone or if its the thermostats of which there appear to be two

Ive had the element out and it looks ok, ie no burn marks or breaks and what i need is someone who knows there stuff to tell me where to go from here

is there a way to test each to find out which has broken ? although i can replace the parts myself (already located thermostats and element) i dont like messing with high voltages with just a screwdriver :?

cheers
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Tumble dryer normally have a cut out to prevent them from over heating, and catching fire.

It sounds like yours has tripped, check the fluff filters and carry out any preventative maintenance that is detailed in the operator’s manual. This may also contain details on how to reset the trip if it is user resetable.

Some tumble dryers, require you to dismantle them to reset the thermal protection, I would not recommend you do this unless you are competent, and have unplugged it from the mains. (Arse covered)

Trace the wires back from the heater, you are looking for a round component smaller in diameter than a 2 pence piece, with two wires coming out. This may optionally have a red reset button, and a temperature marked on the side. (They also come in all shapes and sizes, but my description is a common type.) If there is no red button, you may have to replace the thermal switch, or some can be reset by pushing a small diameter (1mm) insulated plastic rod into the hole between the contacts.

Chilly
Community Veteran

As for testing them, a low voltage battery, lamp and piece of wire will work.
They are OK if the lamp lights.

Chilly
N/A

Only don't use a car battery. It's not the volts that kill you, it's how many amps you suck out of a supply
Shorting a low voltage car battery will give you one hell of a jolt.
Denzil
Grafter

Slightly off topic, but it is a combination of Volts and Amps. Put your fingers on the terminals of a car battery and you won't feel a thing. The risk with a car battery is it can give big fat high temperature sparks if it is shorted, but you are not going to do that, are you? Cheesy
N/A

in my experience, some thermo's will light even though they are bad.
just order a complete set and be done.
often enough, there will be one inside the drum/door area which monitors the inside drum temp also.

avoid opening the machine whilst its running and this will prolong the sensors. let it cool to end of cycle and never use it for ironing out wrinkles.... Cheesy

ezee-fix tends to do them cheap and deliver quick. usually with two days in my experience.
also, their people are knowledgable...which counts for a lot thse days.
holdtight
Grafter

Thanks guys much appreciated !

chilly ill try that and see how i go i hadnt thought of a reset switch, cheers mate.
N/A

Slightly off topic, but it is a combination of Volts and Amps. Put your fingers on the terminals of a car battery and you won't feel a thing. The risk with a car battery is it can give big fat high temperature sparks if it is shorted, but you are not going to do that, are you? Cheesy

thats why you should never touch the body of the car with a spanner when tightening the connections on your battery. The body of the car is always routed to the neutral port (not port, whats the word), of the battery. To cut down on wiring.
holdtight
Grafter

(not port, whats the word).

Negative terminal