cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Question

N/A

Ebay Question

Hi All

First of all let me say there is no offense meant to anyone who may sell on Ebay as a matter of course.

I am in the market for a replacement car for mine that is coming to the end of it's working life.Having looked on Ebay I see some nice vehicles advertised, but and this is a big but:are there any safeguards in place for someone purchasing a vehicle via Ebay.

I must admit not having a lot to with Ebay in the past:when it comes to buying a vehicle I am a little dubious as it does seem open to abuse.

For example I bid on on a vehicle and win..... it then seems general procedure is to send the seller a deposit (what is that for?) and then within seven days (usually) travel halfway up the country to collect it.

What happens if when I get there I find it is nothing like what has been advertised and I decide it is not for me.Am I not stuck in a legally binding contract?

Or is the secret simply not to buy a vehicle via Ebay...... but people seem to be doing it every day so one may assume that there maybe some protection for the buyer in place I don't know hence my query.

Or can you give the money to one of the motoring organisations:send them up to look at it with the instructions that if it is any good give the seller the money and put the veicle on a trailer or flatbed and bring it back.

Sorry about my sceptiscm over something that I must admit does seem work.Would certainly appreciate any thoughts on this especially from those that sell cars on a regular basis, or those that have bought vehicles this way.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ebay Question

is the secret simply not to buy a vehicle via Ebay......

Hi

In my experience m8, the secret isn't necessarily to not buy from ebay [there are plenty of legit sellers after all], but rather, the secret is never to buy a car from anywhere/anyone until you have seen it yourself and gone through at least basic checks.
I would never buy a car from Ebay my self.
Just my two cents.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ebay Question

I work with a chap that has bought 3 cars from ebay & has been happy with all of his purchases. The last two i know were purchased prior to him even viewing the vehicles. My advice however would be to view & test drive the vehicle first (not easy if its miles away i know) prior to bidding on the car. Therefore you only bid knowing you are certain you want to purchase.
N/A

Ebay Question

Thanks folks:I think in my case it may be better for me personally to forget Ebay as living in Devon unless it is local viewing is out of the question somewhat as is going to collect.But it is nice to know that it is not all gloom and doom in Ebay land :-)
N/A

Ebay Question

If you trusted pple here (or on a different forum) you could always get them to check out the car/take digital photos and send them to you.
Community Veteran

Ebay Question

You seem very trustworthy jonathon, and I would like to say that it is very nice of you to offer your services!!

I am sure he will take you up on that. Tongue lol Cheesy
N/A

Ebay Question

Tongue Cheesy

Unfortionately.. I cant drive...
N/A

Ebay Question

Thanks folks:I think in my case it may be better for me personally to forget Ebay as living in Devon unless it is local viewing is out of the question somewhat as is going to collect.But it is nice to know that it is not all gloom and doom in Ebay land :-)

When you do an advanced search on ebay, you can set it to show results within X miles of you. That way, you can possibly find a great deal on eBay, but for it to be close enough to go and have a look at it and test drive before bidding.