cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Start

Community Veteran

Easy Start

Hi

Is it just me, or is it the case that the "free" SPAM filtering and "free" virus scanning on this service will actually cost the customer £6 per month. Other than these two "free" additions, I can see no difference between this service and the one I'm signed up for (Home). I pay £21.99 and the Easy Start tarrif is £27.99 Is this misleading? And is there a Trading Standards Officer out there who would like to investigate the matter? I'm sure FOL will be able to explain where the extra £6 value added element is, but I can't see it.
:twisted:
John
5 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Easy Start

Hi there,

The EasyStart comes with an ADSL modem and activation bundled in, too... Smiley
Community Veteran

easy start

Yep - that's described as "free" as well, "free" means you don't pay for it.

I can see that you don't seem to pay for the modem or activation. (There's no up front charge for them at least), that's why it wasn't mentioned in my original post, but the fact remains that customers seem to be paying £6 per month for 2 "free" services. Therefore these services are not "free" . They cost £3 each per month. That may be good value (although anyone foolish enough not to run a virus scanner as well deserves the inevitable chaos which will follow) but free it aint. I would respectfully draw the attention of FOL to Section 20 of the Consumer Protection Act which makes it a criminal offence to mislead as to price. This includes advertising that something is free, when it clearly isn't.

Don't get me wrong. It looks like a great deal, and if I wasn't already signed up I'd be very tempted. That's partly why I'm surprised that the marketing guys felt they had to "guild the lily".

Personally I don't need another virus scanner ( a firewall now that would be different), and I can delete SPAM as quickly as they send it, so another £6 per month wouldn't seem like good value to me but I'm sure you'll get lots of takers for the new product; just don't try to kid on that anything in life is free. Cheesy

John
Ianwild
Grafter

Easy Start

Hi John,

The Broadband Easystart accounts are a totally different concept to any of our other products. They are designed to compete directly with the offerings from other Major ISPs and I don't se how you can say they are being mis-sold?
If you forget for a moment our other product offerings (Which are often confusing for the type of user we are hoping to attract to this product), I genuinelly don't see where you are coming from on this and really think you need to check your legal facts before making the accusations you have.

I would suggest, if you feel the need, that you spoke with Trading standards about our products. If they do highlight any problems they will certainly let us know. I would however like to restate that the Broadband Easystart product includes Activation, USB Modem, Spam and Virus Checking as well as the usual features, all for the price of the subscription!

Regards,
Community Veteran

Easy Start

Hi
I'm not going to fall out with anyone over this one. Free modem and activation aside, the fact remains that the only obvious difference between my service costing £21.99 and the Easy Start package at £27.99 is the "free e-mail virus scanner" and the "free SPAM filter"

I'm very happy with what I've got, and never tire of singing FOL's praises to friends family and anyone else who'll listen ad nausium, so do not intend to cause any further agro on this. I notice that this thread has been viewed a number of times, and the only responses come from FOL, so presumably no-one else sees any problem with the claims. I just think the product is good enough to sell on its merits, without the need to claim that anything is free (apart from the modem and activation, for which there is clearly no charge.)

nuff said

John :twisted:
Ianwild
Grafter

Easy Start

Thanks John...

I think it is clear that 'savvy' customers like yourself and the marketing team won't always see eye to eye about our products and the way they are sold. At the end of the day though, the indications so far are that people do find the Easystart an easier concept to appreciate and see the value for money that it offers - We have been very pleased with the response from consumers so far.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,