cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Mail Spam Blocking

N/A

E-Mail Spam Blocking

Hi,
Can anyone recommend any spam filtering software? The volume and nature of spam mails I'm receiving on some of my mail accounts is getting more alarming by the day. I'm using Outlook 2000 & ideally, I'd just like to specify that certain accounts can only receive mails from addresses in their contacts list or other specific domains. I've had a look in the usual shareware places on the net, and there seems to be quite a few candidates. What experiences have you had with filtering software and is there any you'd recommend?
Cheers,
David
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: E-Mail Spam Blocking

I use spamnet for mines but it is only available for outlook not outlook express.

http://www.cloudmark.com/products/spamnet/

Most people use mailwasher.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Check them out at their relavent sites.
N/A

www.spampal.org.uk

SpamPal is open source/freeware software that allows you to filter using a number of well-known blacklists. I untick relays.osirusoft.com and tick the following:

SPEWS, Spamhaus, ORDB, proxies.relays.monkeys and Wirehub.

I also block anything from China, Korea, Brazil, Argentina, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Nigeria, Russia and Malaysia.

I've found that configuration filters some 95% of the spam that comes my way on work accounts with an extremely low level of false positive.

Well, that's not quite what you were asking for, but it works well and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who wants some PC-based anti-spam filtering.

> Hi,
> Can anyone recommend any spam filtering software? The volume and nature of spam mails I'm receiving on some of my mail accounts is getting more alarming by the day. I'm using Outlook 2000 & ideally, I'd just like to specify that certain accounts can only receive mails from addresses in their contacts list or other specific domains. I've had a look in the usual shareware places on the net, and there seems to be quite a few candidates. What experiences have you had with filtering software and is there any you'd recommend?
> Cheers,
> David

N/A

This is an alternative approach, but doesn't help with existing spam. When signing up to any website or giving out your email address to companies, use their name before the @. i.e if your registering with The Times website use thetime@username.plusnet.com or if you have a domain name even better - thetimes@domainname.com. Then when you get spam you know who has sold on your email address and you can then just block anything that comes to that particular address and everything else is unaffected.

N/A

> This is an alternative approach, but doesn't help with existing spam. When signing up to any website or giving out your email address to companies, use their name before the @. i.e if your registering with The Times website use thetime@username.plusnet.com or if you have a domain name even better - thetimes@domainname.com. Then when you get spam you know who has sold on your email address and you can then just block anything that comes to that particular address and everything else is unaffected.

That is so neat!

Tim

Community Veteran

> That is so neat!
>
> Tim
Yeah, nice idea.
I will try that.

Chris
N/A

>
>

I already employ this tactic - my forum alerts are sent to plusnet.forum@batcat.com for example. A lot of e-mail addresses are obtained by "harvesting" software from home pages, news groups, classified ads etc rather than being sold on. One way to stop this is to append _NOSPAM to your e-mail address (eg loot_NOSPAM@batcat.com) so that a person seeing it will know to delete the _NOSPAM bit but a piece of software won't. Likewise, substituting O 'oh' for 0 'zero' or l 'L' for 1 'one' in any mobile phone numbers you post to classifieds will help stop spam SMS messages since a lot of these originate from automatic harvesting software.

Even the above measures break down when spamers are just randomly generating e-mail addresses - which a lot of them do.

What I really need is to be able to set up accounts so they can only receive mail from a white-list of senders. Idealy, the white-list would just be the contacts list in MS Outlook.

The problem with mail washer is that you have to wash the account before downloading your mail - I want something that's automatic.

N/A

For work I use MessageLabs anti spam service. It's recently been updated and now works well. I've monitored its performance in the last 5 days and it has diverted 1200 spams - 25% of my incoming mail and required no configuration at all. You can manually add domains to white and black lists if you want. A bit of spam still gets through but you can't block it all.