cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamode PCI modem

N/A

Dynamode PCI modem

Hi wondering if anyone can help or is having the same problems.

I have a Sony Vaio Desktop (AthlonXP 2400+, 1Gb RAM) running Windows XP home edition, I have recently upgraded to ADSL through F9 with their PCI starter pack which included a Dynamode PCI modem.

Since installing this Windows has started to hang a lot when I am online and my internet connection will crash out but the ADSL connection will still show as transmitting and receiving.

There is no one site or service online that seems to cause this or any sort of timing (well apart from when I am in the middle of something important as with any computer problem).

I am running the latest version of Norton AV, the firewall option in XP turned on, and all updates have been applied (security and drivers).

Any idea anyone?
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Dynamode PCI modem

> Hi wondering if anyone can help or is having the same problems.
>
> I have a Sony Vaio Desktop (AthlonXP 2400+, 1Gb RAM) running Windows XP home edition, I have recently upgraded to ADSL through F9 with their PCI starter pack which included a Dynamode PCI modem.
>
> Since installing this Windows has started to hang a lot when I am online and my internet connection will crash out but the ADSL connection will still show as transmitting and receiving.
>
> There is no one site or service online that seems to cause this or any sort of timing (well apart from when I am in the middle of something important as with any computer problem).
>
> I am running the latest version of Norton AV, the firewall option in XP turned on, and all updates have been applied (security and drivers).
>
> Any idea anyone?
>

Hi,
The only ideas I could offer you would be the following:- 1) open up the machine again & physically remove the PCI modem card and re-install it (it could be as simple as the modem has not been fully/completely seated into the PCI slot)Some PCI slots do require a heck of alot more pressure to fully seat such cards correctly.

2)un-install the software for the dynamode modem,re-boot the machine/XP. Then re-install as if you where installing the modem for the first time.

3)Check you do have the latest drivers (XP versions if at all possible)and digitally signed if you can get them!. Newer driver files & driver versions made a big difference to my system (XP Pro).

4)I would highly recommend that you turn OFF the microsoft XP home firewall and use a third party one such as zonelabs free one "ZoneAlarm" which I
have been using for ages it an excellent product.
http://www.zonelabs.com
you can download their free firewall version 3

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

> Hi,
> The only ideas I could offer you would be the following:- 1) open up the machine again & physically remove the PCI modem card and re-install it (it could be as simple as the modem has not been fully/completely seated into the PCI slot)Some PCI slots do require a heck of alot more pressure to fully seat such cards correctly.
>
> 2)un-install the software for the dynamode modem,re-boot the machine/XP. Then re-install as if you where installing the modem for the first time.
>
> 3)Check you do have the latest drivers (XP versions if at all possible)and digitally signed if you can get them!. Newer driver files & driver versions made a big difference to my system (XP Pro).
>
> 4)I would highly recommend that you turn OFF the microsoft XP home firewall and use a third party one such as zonelabs free one "ZoneAlarm" which I
> have been using for ages it an excellent product.
> http://www.zonelabs.com
> you can download their free firewall version 3
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>
>
> --
>

Already installed the modem on three different slots and tried the software. Might try the firewall software I use to use zonealarm on my old win98 / win2K systems. cheers for the ideas anyway.

Stuart
N/A

> > Hi,
> > The only ideas I could offer you would be the following:- 1) open up the machine again & physically remove the PCI modem card and re-install it (it could be as simple as the modem has not been fully/completely seated into the PCI slot)Some PCI slots do require a heck of alot more pressure to fully seat such cards correctly.
> >
> > 2)un-install the software for the dynamode modem,re-boot the machine/XP. Then re-install as if you where installing the modem for the first time.
> >
> > 3)Check you do have the latest drivers (XP versions if at all possible)and digitally signed if you can get them!. Newer driver files & driver versions made a big difference to my system (XP Pro).
> >
> > 4)I would highly recommend that you turn OFF the microsoft XP home firewall and use a third party one such as zonelabs free one "ZoneAlarm" which I
> > have been using for ages it an excellent product.
> > http://www.zonelabs.com
> > you can download their free firewall version 3
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ivan
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
> Already installed the modem on three different slots and tried the software. Might try the firewall software I use to use zonealarm on my old win98 / win2K systems. cheers for the ideas anyway.
>
> Stuart

Hi Stuart,
OK then the only other comment I could make here is that it's NOT impossible to have a hardware fault with the PCI modem. The fact that you have tried to install the modem in x3 different slots & re-installed the drivers limits it down abit more. I would swap the modem for a new one of the same model if thats possible (in other words it could be just this specific modem with a fault or even an intermittent fault)it does happen occationally that hardware is duff. If so you just need to replace it.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
NormanB
Dabbler

> Hi wondering if anyone can help or is having the same problems.
>
> I have a Sony Vaio Desktop (AthlonXP 2400+, 1Gb RAM) running Windows XP home edition, I have recently upgraded to ADSL through F9 with their PCI starter pack which included a Dynamode PCI modem.
>
> Since installing this Windows has started to hang a lot when I am online and my internet connection will crash out but the ADSL connection will still show as transmitting and receiving.
>
> There is no one site or service online that seems to cause this or any sort of timing (well apart from when I am in the middle of something important as with any computer problem).
>
> I am running the latest version of Norton AV, the firewall option in XP turned on, and all updates have been applied (security and drivers).
>
> Any idea anyone?
>
Stuart
I am using completely different kit with exactly the same problem. I have been going nuts trying to sort it out and have done everything you have + major downloads and installation of the latest drivers for everything. My machine has spent more time scandisking and rebooting than useable UNTIL
I cracked it.

I had been shuffling the NIC between PCI slots without effect and then thought - Mmmm - and I removed the Dial Up Modem and used that slot for the NIC and all is working hunky dory - YIPEEEEE

It has been online 16 hours now continously without probs - I was managing an average of 10-15 mins before with the problem.
NormanB