cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual

N/A

Dual

My operating system is XP Pro, installed on the C:
I have also a 40gb F: Is it possible to install Win98 if so how?

Thanking you in anticipation
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Dual

It can be done the best way is using something like System Commander, or Partion magics boot loader.
I assume your c: drive is ntfs? If its fat32 its simplier but if its ntfs then 98 cant boot from a ntfs drive so you would have to edit xps loader to boot from drive f:

The problem is you can only boot from drive c: and this can then have a loader to load another os from another drive. Some new MB will let you choose to boot from another drive.

The best way is to shrink c: back by 1.9 gig install 98 on that and then if you install system commander it will give you the option of xp or 98, with SC you can boot 100 o/s. If you dont want to lay out he cash for SC there are shareware products which will do it for you.

Depending why you want 98 you could use a virtual pc and run it that way its safer and less hassle.

> My operating system is XP Pro, installed on the C:
> I have also a 40gb F: Is it possible to install Win98 if so how?
>
> Thanking you in anticipation

N/A

Thanks for the help, as you may already gather I'm no tec but do dabble. My C (20gb)drive is FAT and I have got Partiction Magic 7. Can you give me easy instructions please.

> It can be done the best way is using something like System Commander, or Partion magics boot loader.
> I assume your c: drive is ntfs? If its fat32 its simplier but if its ntfs then 98 cant boot from a ntfs drive so you would have to edit xps loader to boot from drive f:
>
> The problem is you can only boot from drive c: and this can then have a loader to load another os from another drive. Some new MB will let you choose to boot from another drive.
>
> The best way is to shrink c: back by 1.9 gig install 98 on that and then if you install system commander it will give you the option of xp or 98, with SC you can boot 100 o/s. If you dont want to lay out he cash for SC there are shareware products which will do it for you.
>
> Depending why you want 98 you could use a virtual pc and run it that way its safer and less hassle.
>
> > My operating system is XP Pro, installed on the C:
> > I have also a 40gb F: Is it possible to install Win98 if so how?
> >
> > Thanking you in anticipation
>
>

N/A

I assume you have the bootmanager with PM7?

boot from PM floppy shrink the xp so there is 1.8 gig free at the begining(any more than that and it wont boot) create a 2nd primary partion in the now free space format it fat or fat32 set it active.

Boot the pc and install 98 on the new drive. Install the PM bootmanager and you should get or be able to add xp onto the menu.

If worse comes to worse you can delete the partion with PM and grow the xp back.

Failing that you can duel boot by setting 98 or xp partion active (messy but it works) I use SC and on boot up into 98 it puts xp their all on its own, its a fair while since I have used PM boot manger. SC makes each partion c: when it boot into a os you may have to watch that if PM doesnt do that then XP wouldnt load as its looking for the files on c: not d:

Be sure to backup anything important first. If you have other progs on f: then they may not work if the drive letters change but you can change the drive assinments in XP.

> Thanks for the help, as you may already gather I'm no tec but do dabble. My C (20gb)drive is FAT and I have got Partiction Magic 7. Can you give me easy instructions please.
>
> > It can be done the best way is using something like System Commander, or Partion magics boot loader.
> > I assume your c: drive is ntfs? If its fat32 its simplier but if its ntfs then 98 cant boot from a ntfs drive so you would have to edit xps loader to boot from drive f:
> >
> > The problem is you can only boot from drive c: and this can then have a loader to load another os from another drive. Some new MB will let you choose to boot from another drive.
> >
> > The best way is to shrink c: back by 1.9 gig install 98 on that and then if you install system commander it will give you the option of xp or 98, with SC you can boot 100 o/s. If you dont want to lay out he cash for SC there are shareware products which will do it for you.
> >
> > Depending why you want 98 you could use a virtual pc and run it that way its safer and less hassle.
> >
> > > My operating system is XP Pro, installed on the C:
> > > I have also a 40gb F: Is it possible to install Win98 if so how?
> > >
> > > Thanking you in anticipation
> >
> >
>
>