cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading with Azureus

N/A

Downloading with Azureus

Hi, i use azureus to download ocasionally, and i was wandering if any one has got any idea why the maximum i can download at is about 60kbs, i have a 2meg line, but when i was on my 512 and 1meg lines azureus was great, it downloaded at its max speed, (as per line). Would appriciate any help, thanks.
PS am using a DLINK DWL-G604T,
16 REPLIES
N/A

Downloading with Azureus

You didnt mention what kind of account you have.
N/A

Re: Downloading with Azureus

It's 'cos it's poor BT client, really, it just isn't very good.

The latest official client makes up for some the originals shall we say, sparse feature set.
N/A

actualy

theres a fair few torrent sites about and the main ones have detailed explainations as to how your client should be configured for maximum speeds-eg default settings on azeurus client are not the optimal ones and theres a fair few options ticke3d that could be unticked for better results etc-do a google and am sure will find a reference to options best for torrents/downloading Smiley
N/A

Downloading with Azureus

I think the problem may be that you need to open up some ports in your router. Bitorrent clients work by getting little bits of the file from many different people. Each one of these connections in a incomming connection to the base port for BT +1 for each connection,

Setup port forwarding in your router for a range of ports starting at the base Bitottent port and finishing at this port + the number of conenctions you want.

I think the azereus client is supposed to support Upnp which may get the router to do this automatically?

If you do a Google for azereus and firewall or router I'm sure you will get instructions on how to do this. I also can not remember what the port it for bittorrent.

If you are only getting 64K this suggests that you are only gettinng a download from one user?

Remember that the f9 plus accounts are traffic shaped too so you may not get the maximum speeds when using Bittorrent. Premiere accounts are not traffic shaped.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Re: Downloading with Azureus

It's 'cos it's poor BT client, really, it just isn't very good.

Why do you say that? I use it over the official client and BitTornado, simply because of all the plugins etc you can get for it. There's one called SafePeer that blocks all known **AA IPs, and another utilising the dhc (I think that's what it's called), allowing you to seedlessly download some torrents.

In other words, if there's something up with it, I wanna know about it! :twisted:
N/A

hmmm

Ok i am haveing this very same problem with Azureus still on a 1mb line i am on a Premiere account i know over the last few days they had problems but it should be sorted now, I have noticed this for a few weeks now.

Odd thing is it dont matter if i have 1,2 or 3 torrents downloading it caps out at a combinded 55K-60K close one the others go up just like i am hiting a bandwith cap. was working fine a few months ago as i was geting round about 100K-120K just seems very odd any one got any ideas.

The speed test is fine and other than P2P downloads, i get about 120K for downloads. i have all the needed ports and the like open and my up load speed is also set.

I am just beginging to wonder just how limited this new trafic shaping is on the Premiere account is as its now 3am and still no improvement at the momment all i can say is hmmmm.

P.S sorry for any spelling mistakes but its 3am and i am off to bed
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Downloading with Azureus

Hi,

This is something the network guys have been looking at as we've seen a few similar reports. Can you just answer a couple of things for me though, what have you got the upload speed set to? And if you lower it does the download speed increase?
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Downloading with Azureus

That's a good point Dave, upload speed can kill downloads if set wrong (I'd partly forgotten about that, haven't touched my upload speed in ages!)

Set too low, Azureus automatically limits download speed (although as far as I know it doesn't do this stealthily, so you'd know about it willey Smiley).
Set too high, it's using all of your upstream bandwidth and you've got very little left to communicate with other peers.

I have mine set to 25KB/s (on a 2Mb/256K connection) so that i've got a 5KB/s (ish) gap for other connections.

Good luck willey and lesjohnson! Smiley
N/A

Downloading with Azureus

I had it set to 15K and 20K and it makes no diffrence at all in the speeds at the mo i going to try out a few other bt clinets and see if they act the same way so i will let you know.

Update ok tryed with bitComet and its doing the same thing.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Downloading with Azureus

If it's doing it between clients (especially Azureus and BitComet, both of which I've used and found to be pretty good) suggests it's a problem either with the configuration on your computer, or something that's happened to the line...

It could the traffic shaping on F9, but it's unlikely and I've been getting nice 200KB/s+ speeds over the last few days, although I'm not using the BT port so it probably wouldn't do anything about it... :roll:
N/A

Downloading with Azureus

You've probably tried this, but it might help to set the max global upload speed to 0kb/s (unlimited) and see if your download speeds are any quicker.
N/A

Downloading with Azureus

I have the exact same problem except my downloads seem to be jointly limited to a not so respective 50kb/s. Am on 2meg premier service.

have tried loads of torrents and suggested fixes but to no avail. Have raised a ticket regarding this and will hopefully get it resolved soon or i will prolly have to find another isp.

Anyone got any ideas??

cheers
fraser
N/A

Downloading with Azureus

Well i cant help as i am haveing the same problem still. i have tryed it all now as well even usesing a diffrent port and its still just the same http downloads 100k + bt downloads 50K give or take.
N/A

azureus speeds

apart from the obvious amounts of people seeding to leeching ratio afecting your speeds,as i think mentioned somewhere on here,ur upload speed setting also dramaticaly affects your download speed...for example if you have,say,2mb down 26k up speeds,then setting upload speed to 26k will make your download speed alot slower-i dont know exactly why but am guessing bt lines get congested easy or something...personaly after much mucking about i found my idea speed is reached if i set download speed to unlimited,but Limit my upload speed to 18k....so i would suggest limiting your upload speed via azureus to around the 3/4 of its max...also only download one file at a time and upload to the same file as above rather than to a seperate file for maximum speeds.
personaly with the usage restrictions imposed recently i have had my speed limited by F9 from the 2mb i pay for to 64k apparently...seems new usage policy means when download over 100gig in a month it gives them the right to make you pay for 2mb and recieve 64k instead at their discretion.(no idea if they mean 1k over 100 gig or if 99.9gig is ok etc,all know is 'over 100gig' was mentioned as unacceptable and i should upgrade or limit myself to avoid "them doing it for me" again in the future....Why they suggested i upgrade to remove restriction has me abit baffled though since far as can tell they do not actualy provide and upgrade to BB premier that bypasses usage restrictions,but am assuming they mean 'upgrade to a new isp that can handle such amounts' so that is what i am currently looking for-heh