cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgraded!!!

Waggy
Dabbler

Downgraded!!!

Ok, here's a warning! If you are thinking of moving house and are a bit of a sad muppet like me who relies fairly heavily on broadband internet, then you really really really really must check your telephone exchanges before moving. There is nothing so depressing than going back to a 56k dial up connection after using broadband for a year.

I'm in Defcon 4 of the depression stages.

Has anyone any idea of the rest of the UK (including Godstone) exchanges and the likelyhood of them being updated.

You'd think BT would have offset some of the profits from other services to fund these exchanges but oooooops, forgot, think of the poor shareholders!!!!

There have been companies closing to relocate because of lack of broadband internet!!!

Ok that's my rant over with. Anyone care to commentHuh?

Steve
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Downgraded!!!

> Has anyone any idea of the rest of the UK (including Godstone) exchanges and the likelyhood of them being updated.

You can check the status of your exchange at www.bt.com/broadband/ BT run a very effective pre registration scheme which is what most future exchange upgrades is based on.

> You'd think BT would have offset some of the profits from other services to fund these exchanges but oooooops, forgot, think of the poor shareholders!!!!

BT can't do this due to thier licenece agreements with Oftel. The exchange equipment is owned by BT Wholesale, they in turn rent lines, phone access and ADSL access to other companies such as BT Retail (who you get your phone bill off) and the internet providers such as PlusNet. BT can't cross subsidise between BT businesses.

Chris
elton
Grafter

>
> Ok that's my rant over with. Anyone care to commentHuh?
>
> Steve

Even if the local exchange is adsl enabled, you'd better check that the property has a copper local loop connection too.
Many new housing estates have fibre optic local connections, and adsl doesn't work over fibre.
There are one or two individuals in my office who've just discovered this after moving house, and they are now mental basket cases, back on 56k.
--
Skonko!
Waggy
Dabbler

> > Has anyone any idea of the rest of the UK (including Godstone) exchanges and the likelyhood of them being updated.
>
> You can check the status of your exchange at www.bt.com/broadband/ BT run a very effective pre registration scheme which is what most future exchange upgrades is based on.
>
> > You'd think BT would have offset some of the profits from other services to fund these exchanges but oooooops, forgot, think of the poor shareholders!!!!
>
> BT can't do this due to thier licenece agreements with Oftel. The exchange equipment is owned by BT Wholesale, they in turn rent lines, phone access and ADSL access to other companies such as BT Retail (who you get your phone bill off) and the internet providers such as PlusNet. BT can't cross subsidise between BT businesses.
>
> Chris

Now, I didn't know that, thanks. Sometimes makes you wonder whether competion can actually be a shot in the foot!

Ho-hum, Battlefield 1942 will just have to be made redundant for sometime by the looks of things!
Waggy
Dabbler

> Many new housing estates have fibre optic local connections, and adsl doesn't work over fibre.
> There are one or two individuals in my office who've just discovered this after moving house, and they are now mental basket cases, back on 56k.
>
> --
> Skonko!
>

Indeed! I've heard that there are aluminium cables running around various places too. They can also scupper your chances of ADSL apparently!

Steve
N/A

yay OFTEL