cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Names

N/A

Domain Names

Hello,

Yes! the answer to your question is that all domain names in UK have to be registered with Nominet UK and when you initially purchase the domain name (whatever type it is i.e. .co.uk or .com or .biz etc) its usually purchased with a 2 year duration.

After the 2 years expire you then have to pay a small fee around £20 for renewal which means you carry on being the registrered owner of that domain name,& this is legally binding (Proof of ownership). As domain names are abit like cyber property there have been many nasty legal disputes by commercal companies over who owns a specific domain name ie. virgin or tesco.com for example and this is why Nominet UK over see's the registration process and gets involved if names are disputed.

*I think the 2 years was set because so many comanies or organisations start up and then fold and so names can be released more quickly that way.

If you dont pay the renewal fee the the name would released back into the pool of available domain names and someone else could buy and own your domain name.

*Yes! this also applies to F9 domain names too.

*I hold a domain name cyteck.co.uk which I purchased from a third party (NOT from F9) and this company normally alerts me when I'm getting close to the renewal date so I can take appropraite action. My guess would be that F9 would send you a reminder email close to the renewal date.

PS: I think you would carry on paying your extra £1 mthly for the domain name but would have to pay the renewal fee whn due which would obviously be ontop of that (unless F9 has included the renewal fee in that £1 cost but I doubte this).

Ivan
9 REPLIES
N/A

Domain name

i currently have a domain name which is the £1 option with my force9 account but im on the understanding that i only have this name for 2 years, does anyone know what happens after the 2 years are up? do i carry on paying my £1? or will i have to pay extra to keep my domain name?

I would be grateful if anyone could answer my question
N/A

Domain name

Hi,
I had been paying my £1 per month and F9 hadn't noticed. Accidentally, they charged me £52.88 for renewal. I pointed this out to them and they refunded it in full. That was a while ago, but I expect the same still applies. So it appears you pay your £1 per month and that's it.

Hope this helps.
David.
N/A

Domain name

I can also say that in december our £1 domain name was renewed without extra charge, just continued to pay our £1 per month.

Jarv
N/A

Renewal

Oh! well that seems to be that then, so its just £1 a month and no extra renewal fee's sounds OK to me. I think I paid about £20 for another 2 years on my cyteck domain name which seems reasonable.

Ivan
N/A

Domain name

Thank you for answering my question, £1 a month is defo cheaper than having to purchase the same name with another domain name company then having to pay force9 to host it for me,
N/A

Domain name

You can have three domains hosted free on a standard ADSL account (you will have to check your contract). We have a £1 domain, and two more domains purchased from a different vendor, hosted on F9's domain servers at no extra charge.

Jarv
N/A

Domain name

I currently use a .com domain purchased in the USA.

.COM Domain Name $17.50 - roughly £9.50 for two years

Cheapest I could find at the time Cheesy
N/A

Domain name

Thats the cheapest I have seen!!

.co.uk though...

http://www.freeparking.co.uk

£9.99 for two years .co.uk, £15 renewal I'm told which is good - I have three domains with these, two hosted directly by F9, one on redirect to F9 server. Can't fault.

http://www.123-reg.co.uk

£3.03 per year inc VAT, think you have to register for 2 years at least. My bro not had brilliant experiences though.

F9 £1/month..

£24 for 2 years but least messing Cheesy
N/A

Domain name

or there's always http://easily.co.uk who are £9.99 for 2 years, and the same for renewal as far as I remember.