cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know...

N/A

Does anyone know...

Does anyone know what the file dvrvideo.exe is for? My system on boot up says it cannot load it as mentioned in the registry. The registry has RUN and c:\windows\system32\dvrvideo.exe Is it an essential part of one of my programs? I have done a google for it and no results. This has only happened since I ran scanbot search and destroy, which either has something to do with it or is sheer coincidence.

TIA
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Does anyone know...

Hi,

I don't recognose the filename. It could be that Spybot picked it up as Spyware and removed it. In which case reopen Spybot and go to the Recovery section. It keeps any files it removes here so you should be able to see what it was.
N/A

Does anyone know...

Had a look there, didn't see it! Ah well, the machine seems to be working OK without it. Except.... Autosearch has stopped happening from IE. Now it always sticks http://% before my search words. Blowed if I can reset it to autosearch from the browser!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Does anyone know...

Hi,

I used to get this too, before I found Opera to be a far better browser.

I think you can fix it by going into Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab, scroll down to the Search from Address Bar section and try changing the option there to the one you want to use.
N/A

Does anyone know...

Tried that, no joy Sad
N/A

Re: The file dvrvideo.exe

Hi,
Yes! I also ran a google search on this file name and the closest wrong match as for Toshiba DVD software! I know this in itself isnt any help to you. However have you tried clicking on the file (NOT running it but just highlighting it) then try doing a right click on this file, and select properties on the file from the floating menu which should appear. Next on the properties sheet that appears, sometimes it is possible to find quite deailled information about the maker or vendor of the file, product name, file version number and so on. This might help you to the process of working out what or where this file came from.

**Following on from the above I can confirm for you though that the file "dvrvideo.exe" is NOT a Microsoft Windows XP pro file. It could possibly be a file that belongs to a dialler software. You might be able to confirm that fact by downloading a free copy of AD Aware from LAVASOFT http://www.lavasoft.com this would most probably be detected and conformed by Ad aware and secondly it would offer you a way to safely remove it from your machine without any damage or danger.

Ivan
N/A

Does anyone know...

The problem is that the file is no longer on my machine, so the above tests cannot be made. however as the machine seems to be running fine without it, I think I shall just delete the entry in registry. Thanks for all your research