Does Linux have a future?

Community Veteran

This weeks Computer Weekly “Big Question” was;

Their response was;
    55% Yes
    45% No

With key open source supplier Novell having recently replaced its chief executive in a bid to turn around its fortunes, nearly half of Big Question respondents did not believe that the Linux open source operating system has a sustainable future.

I am not sure if the reporter’s glass was half empty :?

I would have phrased it;

With key open source supplier Novell having recently replaced its chief executive in a bid to turn around its fortunes, over half of Big Question respondents believe that the Linux open source operating system has a sustainable future.

My poll is do you believe Linux has a future.

Chilly
12 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, just not a very big/successful one

Google's OS however..... Wink
N/A

<tongue in cheek mode on>
Judging by the number of people on other forums apparently downloading Linux ISO's every day I would say it would appear to have a great future <tongue in cheek mode off>

But seriously though I think it has a future for people who like to get their "hands dirty"...... will it ever be a popular as Windows?no I don't think so it's aimed at a different market; but then again neither will the Mac OS That I use or the X11 system that I use for running open source programmes....... it's horses for courses
Community Veteran

It depends on what area you are looking at:

If its the server side (web/filestore/mail etc) then *nix is the primary OS used for those activities anyway, and it is unlikely to change.

If its the desktop side, then *nix/Linux still has a way to go in terms of integrated apps and desktops. Things are improving in this area but MS still has a monopoly on the desktop enviromnent and is likely to do so for some time. However, I think with the complexity of Vista and having so many different versions, MS may have shot themselves in the foot and people may well decide to move to a *nix desktop environment, which, in a few years may have matured enough to be considered by more people / companies.

So yes, Linux/Unix is here to stay.
shellsong
Grafter

I've only had cause to fire up Windoze three or four times in over a year and I've never regretted going wholeheartedly over to Linux (first Mepis then Ubuntu and at present Kubuntu)

There can be problems for some users learning how to work with an inherently more secure operating system that insists on proper use of permissions when things need changing but on the other hand it's nice not to have to run all sorts of AV and antispyware software to have a safe working and surfing environment

The major niggle I have is with manufacturers of hardware like ATI and NVidia who seem unwilling to produce good Linux drivers (they're even worse than the Windows ones) and yet will not open up their hardware architecture and command structure so that Open Source drivers can be produced by those who care about these things! It's not as if they charge for the drivers-- it's the hardware people buy!
powernumpty
Grafter

I've tried since about Mandrake 7 but always fallen back on windows if only for the CAD work.
I only dabble with Linux command line stuff.

Since Knoppix things changed (for me) in a very positive way.
I could not live without live distro's when faced with broken windows boxes.
I loved knoppix then Kanotix but tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu/xubuntu for a change, not sure about the sudo-itall stuff but its getting to the stage now that I feel Kubuntu does 99% of what I want and going to Windows is like turning to the seedy side of PC's.
I catch myself thinking is my antivirus up to date, oh wait it's Linux.

The thought that an OEM install of windows (and Office) legally dies with the pc is just laughable when there is so much power now available and they don't treat you like a thief if you keep using it.

I just hope they find a workable business model.
csogilvie
Grafter

I'd probably use Linux all the time, if it wasn't for a couple of pieces of software I use that are Windows only.
Community Veteran

My personal preference for Live Linux is http://www.slax.org/
And I have also been playing with Puppy Linux running on a VMWare virtual machine.

For some reason, I or my hardware has never really got on with Knoppix

Chilly
shellsong
Grafter

My son sometimes runs Windows for necessary software but keeps it in a virtual machine under Linux-- a cage is the best place for it! Wink

(Mind you I think he tried caging Redmond's latest offering and it didn't survive the shock so maybe he'll have to upgrade the virtual machine to give it a squeaky toy or two!)
N/A

Linux is here to say and I was going to say what a previous post stated about vista. This will annot many people and push them elsewhere. The DRM problem is another headache with Vista that will push more to linux or whatever.

I only use windoze due to a couple of windows only apps that i have found out can work under wine. However, I cannot find a distro to utilise my wireless adaptor, so I do not see why i should use ndiswrapper which is changeable depending on the distro.

On the flipside, linux sees it whereas windows does not!

However, linux has to mature for easy install like windows (as in drivers and programs), but vista may force that issue. Exciting times are ahead!
shellsong
Grafter

I have to use ndiswrapper for the wifi chipset in my laptop but if I use a pcmcia wifi card with one of the better chipsets with open source driver availability any good distro will configure it-- the main bugbear of Linux, as I indicated earlier, is hardware manufacturers who only seem to countenance the use of proprietary Windoze drivers with their products!

It's not as if there aren't plenty of bright programmers around who would be more than willing to produce good open source drivers for free given access to the relevent technical info, it's just a problem of manufacturers with their heads buried up their corporate fundaments refusing to acknowledge the existence of anything other than Microsoft or, occasionally, Mac!
N/A

However, linux has to mature for easy install like windows (as in drivers and programs)

Has'nt it already been done..... and named Mac OS X Tiger?

Sorry just could'nt resist :-) :-) :-)
shellsong
Grafter

I see one of the contributors to Micro Computer Mart recently installed the latest version of the Kubuntu distro from CD and it went through seamlessly in 15 minutes whereas the previous Windows install took over an hour including a search for drivers!