cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need to be paying BT for line rental?

N/A

If been offered a cheaper deal on my landline from "another company" and was thinking of getting it (no point paying more than I need to), however will it affect my broadband?

Might be a simple question with a simple answer, but after a quick search round the website there didn't seem to be much info.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Hello afulton,

The answer here is be VERY VERY careful about cheaper deals than BT!!, it may or may not be a god deal, you MUST check the facts of what your being offered to ensure that it is genuinely a better offer than BT can provide you with. Be careful why? because if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, check the small print details for any catches, rules, penalty clause,etc,etc. Be very worried if the potential new providor cannot or wont provide anything in black & white (if they cannot or wont give you detailled info in B&W dont touch them with a barge pole).

The Telecoms market in general terms splits into two sectors domestic and business and splits again into those services which are BT or BT related (non BT company but still using BT pipes and cables) and all other providors non BT i.e. cable companies such as NTL & Telewest.

**I havent included wireless here true!!
**Note: even NTL Telewest phone traffic & internet traffic may well travel over BT cables at some stage of transitt process.

OK to answer your orginal question is hard without knowing the name of the actual company potentially offering you this wonderful new deal?? but if its a company that still uses BT pipes & cables, & wires then it may not affect your broadband service but I cannot be 100% certain about that. If its a cable company such as those mentioned YES! it will affect your bradband service, as NTL Telewest run there own internet services and Yes! its different from BT becuase it runs over fibre not copper as far as I am aware.

**Are you talking about a wires only service??

Ivan
N/A

I'm still in the 10 day cooling off period (they came to my door) so can go bac on the deal if I want.

It's with talktalk, from the carphone warehouse.

Seems honest enough, but if you think it's dodgy let me know.
N/A

Actually, just seen some not so good reviews, might do a bit more research then maybe cancel if it's not sounding so good.
N/A

I see TT are offering broadband packages for £19.99pm 1Mbps or £23.99 for 2Mbps.

My brother in law had a lot of trouble with them releasing the telephone line when he moved. The previous owners used TT but he wanted it to go back to BT. It took him 2 months without a telephone service before TT relented and allowed BT control of the line again.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Talk Talk reply Ivan

Hello again afulton,

What Mark has said in the previous posting is exactly the kind of tricks & games I had in mind when I said be VERY careful indeed, these companies promise the earth & stars but can they really deliver the actual services promised and watch out for lock in's where once you sign up your committed to something in the small print you hadnt read or realised. Check check & triple check.

I've just had a close look at carphone warehouse talktalk.co.uk website and the deal for their 2MB service which will cost you £24 per month (excluding your BT phone line rental costs what ever they are), its a 12Month minimum contract. Obviously Carphone warehouse would like you to committ to them as either your landline providor or bundle in your other telecoms service such as mobile phone service (they'de love you to leave BT and for them to be your network providor).

Frankly I cannot see the attraction beyond their claims to offer unlimited downloads which IMO I'd take with a pinch of salt, I'm sure if you started to max out your connection & download 100's of GB I'm sure they would be quick to resrict that kind of behaviour or penalise it in some way. :roll:

Ivan
N/A

Just cancelled today.............some amount of hassle, they guy was some kind of supersalesman! He just went on, and on, and on, I told him 5 times "no, it's ok I really do just want to cancel" glad i'm out of it now!

I think I should confirm it in writing too, you know what these guys are like!!!!
N/A

Hi again,

YES! I would DEFINATELY get that in black and white otherwise they could still possibly renague on the deal.

**Although if you consult with trading standards I think they would agree with me that under UK contract & consumer law, if you say agree too a deal verbally that consitutes a contract but the opposite is also true. If you cancelled the contract verbally within the 10days cooling off period then no contract stands.

In other words if they try and go back on the deal there is No! contract with them by law so they cannot take or charge you any money. And they never provided a service, no service means they cannot charge you for anything.

**You never had a contract with them in the first place because you did indeed cancel within the agreed period allowed by law.

**The BIG problem with door to door sales is that it's almost always driven by commission ontop of a low basic salary, so your so called supersalesman wanted to sign you up because he probably wanted to hit his sales target for new signed up customers. These people often DONT have the customers well being foremost in their minds more they are self interested in the prize of a free holiday or extra large bonus for xmas if they got so many new customers.

**Hummm!! I think they call it capitolism?? or should that just be greed I'm NOT entirely sure !!
Ivan
N/A

i'm with onetel for calls as far cheaper than bt, and have been with them for a couple of years now.

my line rental is still with bt, yes i can change to onetel, but they would only contact bt on my behalf anyway so no point swapping.

once cable moves into our area i may move over to them if get some good deals

regards
mike
N/A

Hi Mike,

Onetel is still a BT related service providor as far as I know, that is onetel actually just buy's spare capacity off BT. Such companies can use special software and hardware to route traffic over certain pipes and lines and Yes! they can offer what appears to be cheaper prices than BT on certain services.

**But as you say your line is still provided by BT and that not to be under estimated.

Ivan
N/A

I didnt think that talk talk could actually provide your physical line?

I know they can overtake the BT voice package, where you are allowed to make so many calls free in a certain time period for a set price, and within a certain time window you are charged X amont for making calls, and talk talk can better price this plan.

As for providing you a telephone line and charging you line rental - i dont think they can do that.
N/A

Hi splink,

No! I doubte strongly that TT can actually provide you with the physical phone line but they can route phone traffic from your house and line via their own Talk Talk network (i.e. from BT to talk talk pipes & lines if they have them). Their aim is to draw you away from BT and the like and gain your extra business and to be able to make more money from this.

Ivan
N/A

Funny story relating to the title of this thread:

we had to change whos name the BT line was under [:?], but BT wouldnt just change it, they had to disconnect the line, and reconnect it under the new name (typical).... however during the time the line was disconnected (phone didnt work), broadband carried on merrily!

Just something to think about/comment on!! Dont know if it would have worked for any prolonged period of time though...

Cheers,
Dan
N/A

what gets me is ..

if you move into a new house, and want a phone line, you contact bt who will "install" the line for you.

They charge you for the work.

All they do is enter 2 commands on their Ericsson/Meridian/Nortel system which basically releases the number on the same line so it can be used.

cheeky gits.
N/A

That depends. The last couple of times I have moved, if you cease the line in house a and have the line provided in house b on the same day, there is no charge. The only time I was charged was when I wanted to take the telephone number with me.

Regards

Mark