cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device which blocks foreign call centres / spam calls?

N/A

Over the past few days my phone has been constantly ringing, and when picked up there is a voice which says "press 1 to hear the message again" - so I press 1, and it repeats itself in an endless loop.

Anyway. After the 20th time I phone BT to see if they can do anything. They also recommended a little box which plugs into the phone line which somehow magically knows when a call is coming in from one of these call centres - she said it costs about £50.

I have looked on the BT shop website but can't find any such device. Does anyone know any more about these little devices / how they work.. etc?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I wonder if shes talking about a clid box which tells you the number of the person calling so you know wether to reject the call!

Also I have found TPS to be really useful for stoping unwanted calls, its definatly worth adding the free bt privacy to your account!
Community Veteran

Also I have found TPS to be really useful for stoping unwanted calls, its definatly worth adding the free bt privacy to your account!

A couple of things to note about the TPS; it can take a couple of months before the calls stop and after a while it is wise to re register as they start to come through again...
Community Veteran

problem is the tps site doesn't allow you to re-register, if you put your number in again it says its already registered! I haven't really noticed any increases in calls lately anyway! But I will bear it in mind if sales calls start to increase!
chrisco
Grafter

No good for foreign incoming calls as neither they or BT have any jurisdiction as I found out when we were getting cold calls form Canada even though we are registered with TPS. My view is they are a watchdog body with no teeth as although the penalties for (UK) companies are steep should they be found to be in breach of the rules, the TPS can only do something when you report unwanted calls is if you can give them the name & if possible the location of the company & with the best will in the world you either don't think or the companies hedge around the question when asked. A guy at BT said the best way to deter the callers is to leave the receiver by the phone & let them ramble on or to buy a really loud whistle & blow with all your might down the mouthpiece to which I replied, I want to strike them dumb not deafen them Cheesy