cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting via FTP

N/A

Deleting via FTP

Me again folks, been busy this weekend Smiley

I have been doing a lot of changes on my site using FP, WS_FTP95LE and even trying FTP via IE6 with no problems except.....

Recently I am emptying folders and trying to delete them I have had to ask tech support to do it once or twice because I receive error 550 permission denied. Folders may not be empty. I know they are, FP knows they are IE says they are, so what files haven't been deleted. I raised a ticket and received the response:

"It is likely that there are hidden files in these folders. Please configure your ftp software to show hidden files and you should be able to remove them.

If you need help in configuring your software to do this, please refer to our user forums, where there are many experienced user who would be more than willing to help. "

So I throw myself to the wolves again and ask. With my FTP client, how do configure WS_FTPLE to show hidden files? I have looked and can find no option. Is it really my fault, or do I have to go back to CS and ask them again?

Thanks

Mark
14 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Deleting via FTP

Hi,

If the files are on the CGI server, log in via Telnet or SSH to the server and use the command ls -a to display a list of your files and folders, the -a will display the hidden files as well.
N/A

Deleting via FTP

I think you need ls -la to get the User/Group as well dave as -a is all and -l extends the list
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Deleting via FTP

You're probably right, it's been a long day.
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Did that thanks to the both of you, but the results are a bit difficult for a novice like me to interperate.

total 224
-rw-r--r-- 1 didit cgishell 0 Jun 26 2002 ?
drwxr-xr-x 9 didit cgishell 4096 Apr 11 17:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 3767 root wheel 155648 Apr 11 21:15 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 didit cgishell 25093 Apr 11 23:32 .bash_history
drwxr-xr-x 2 didit cgishell 4096 Feb 9 17:27 _private
drwxrwxrwx 12 didit cgishell 4096 Apr 11 18:32 acso
drwxrwxrwx 7 didit cgishell 4096 Apr 11 16:40 cgi-bin
drwxr-xr-x 13 didit cgishell 4096 Mar 7 18:51 discus
-rw-r--r-- 1 didit cgishell 1858 Apr 11 17:48 index.htm
drwxr-xr-x 2 didit cgishell 4096 Apr 11 17:48 main
drwxr-xr-x 12 didit cgishell 4096 Apr 10 20:41 marksfish
drwxrwxrwx 2 didit cgishell 4096 Feb 2 17:28 marksfish_links
-rw-r--r-- 1 didit cgishell 451 Apr 11 16:34 tell_friend.js

These are the files I have, how do I know which are hidden?

Thanks again

Mark
N/A

Deleting via FTP

They begin "." so ".htaccess" would be a hidden file (except you don't seem to have any there). If you can't delete the "acso" directory due to hidden files, you should be in that directory when you do the ls -la command.
N/A

Deleting via FTP

I have tried to remove Ikonboard and many directories are stil there. I have carried out Is-la on the avatars folder and these are the results:

didit@cgi02 avatars $ ls -la
total 8
drwxrwxrwx 2 wwwuser wwwuser 4096 Apr 11 17:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 wwwuser wwwuser 4096 May 1 2003 ..

I can't see anything in brackets so i'm assuming no hidden files, is that correct? Again, if I try to delete avatars via ftp I get the message 550 avatars: Permission denied. I cannot chmod the folder to change permissions either. I have also found an index.html file which isn't hidden but can't be deleted either and for which I receive the same error message.

Thanks

Mark
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Ah ha... the files seem to be owned by "wwwuser" which used to be called Nobody, so you will need to ask Support to delete them.
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Thanks again Colin, much appreciated. I shall get back onto CS.

Mark
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Quick question Colin. Why/ how do the permissions change from cgishell to wwwuser? It has occurred to another folder of mine today which was working fine and I have had to add to the ticket to get it changed back.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Folders created by apache will be owned by wwwuser, so things like the Ikonboard Installer will create folders owned by wwwuser.
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Okay, but I had a folder which I created yesterday which was withing acso and called classified. If was chmoded to 777. A folder was placed within called pictures which was also chmoded to 777. It all worked fine yesterday but now I can't upload files using the script and when doing the la-la command it shows the file I created is now owned by wwwuser.

Regards

Mark
tony2007
Grafter

Deleting via FTP

Didit,
For future reference and in case you'd rather use your ftp client - you can see your hidden files using the WS ftp client by entering '-a' (without the quotation marks) into the 'empty rectangle' just below the MkDir rectangle on the remote side of the WS interface.
N/A

Deleting via FTP

That's brilliant, worked a treat on another of the directories which needed removing but was being stubborn! (Mental note made for future reference).Shame I can't do it with the Ikonboard files though Sad . Still, CS are on the case now Smiley

Cheers

Mark

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): There is no need to quote the post immediately before yours, so I have removed it.]
N/A

Deleting via FTP

Back to haunt you again now. I have had the directory ownerships changed from wwwuser to cgishell but still cannot delete files, still receiving 550 permission denied. This is getting a bit worrying as I can see a time when my folder has so many files in it I will have to make a new one and have the old one deleted. They will not delete with FTP through Explorer, WSFTP or FrontPage. I don't want to have to raise a ticket every time the files need deleting, but it seems to be the only option.

Thanks

Mark