cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delays in DNS propagation

N/A

Hi,

Last week I made some changes to the DNS for two domains I have registered with F9 (and currently hosted by them). I'm moving them to some external hosting to reduce the strain on my ADSL line. However, I'm keeping the DNS at F9 for now.

The documentation on the DNS control panel says 24-48 hours for DNS changes to take effect. However, I'm still not seeing the changes I made when I query the F9 (or any other) DNS servers via "dig". TTLs on the lookups are 4 hours - low enough for this not to be the issue a week later!

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

For reference, the settings I have configured for one of the domains can be seen here.
5 REPLIES
astarsolutions
Grafter

DNS records should take less than 24 hours to propagate to the main servers, if it is a week then something is wrong.

if you check the names you will see that one doesn't exist and the other still points to f9's homepages IP.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=www.samgarwood.co.uk&type=A

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=samgarwood.co.uk&type=A

I don't use F9 for my DNS so i am not sure how there system works, perhaps they have a confirm or submit option that you need to press to submit the changes.
N/A

Hi astarsolutions,

Yeah, I know that currently they still point to F9's space. I've been checking regularly with dig since last week. I've been a-pressin' the submit button on the web page. Smiley Their own guidance says it's 24-48 hours whilst the changes are committed to the database and the DNS server zone file rebuild (presumably). The TTL on the lookups is 4 hours, so there's not caching issue - certainly not a week!

Guess I'll be submitting a ticket then. The other option is to transfer the domains out to a different registrar, I suppose.
N/A

It looks like I'm making progress. It seems that A records don't require the trailing period in the left field but CNAME records do. So setting DNS for www.domain.co.uk via an A record is a case of specifying an A record for just "www".

At least, that's what I think ATM. I've tried specifying domain.co.uk (no trailing dot) as an A record to the IP address and setting up www (no trailing dot) as a CNAME to domain.co.uk. (with trailing dot). We shall see what happens once the changes take effect.
N/A

Well, I've now got www.samgarwood.co.uk as a CNAME for samgarwood.co.uk OK. So just "www" (no trailing dot) in the left field and samgarwood.co.uk. (with trailing dot) in the right. Sadly the A record didn't work, so I've just changed it to samgarwood.co.uk. (with trailing dot) in the left field and the IP address in the right.
N/A

OK, well that seems to have worked. Smiley I'll do the same with my other domain and hosts within that domain and see if it all works OK.