cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS server IP addresses - ADSL vs Dialup

N/A

DNS server IP addresses - ADSL vs Dialup

Please can you clarify the DNS server IP address settings.

I've setup the router in my ADSL Router starter pack with the settings listed on the (Solwise SAR110) F9 Quickstart guide that came with the router. It lists both DNS server addresses shown below for DIALUP users. Please re-state which is correct and get the Router Quickstart and support revised if necessary.

BTW: I always thought it was bad practise to have the primary and secondary DNS servers on the same subnet - in the case of the ADSL DNS servers, they are just 1 IP address apart.

Regards

Neil

The following is quoted from "Service Status: DNS Problem - Information" dated 30/04/2003.

> Dear Customers,
>
> Over the past two evenings a number of customers have been experiencing Domain Name Server problems. Upon investigation, our network engineers have highlighted two issues:
>
> 1. Incorrect Reverse DNS for the IP address range of 81.174.128.0.
>

> 2. Domain Name Server lookup failures.
>
> We have had reports from customers that they have been experiencing DNS Timeouts. Our Network Operations team have investigated this and discovered that DNS settings on several customers computers have changed to 207.44.140.102 and 64.191.22.247. At this time it is unclear how this is happening, however we will post further information as it becomes available.
>
> The correct Domain Name Servers are 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 for ADSL users, and 212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150 for Dialup customers. Please ensure you are using these settings as using different DNS servers may adversely affect your Internet experience. If you have to change your settings please ensure that you restart your computer to clear any cached values.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Customer Support.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: DNS server IP addresses - ADSL vs Dialup

> > The correct Domain Name Servers are 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 for ADSL users, and 212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150 for Dialup customers.

Force 9 cupport people posted a notice about this on this forum a couple of months back (go back a couple of pages on the Older Messages to find it). Despite this, the information on the support pages has not been updated - it still shows only the "Dialup" servers (so no help to people who have recently signed up for ADSL and missed the message posted here).

I recently asked about this in a "Contact Us" message, and it was confirmed I should be using the ADSL servers. I've added them to the top of my DNS server list, but left the others as well.

I agree with your concern about the two ADSL servers being on the same subnet.
N/A

"Despite this, the information on the support pages has not been updated - it still shows only the "Dialup" servers"

I take it back - I've just looked, and the information *has* been updated. Well done, Force 9!
N/A

> "Despite this, the information on the support pages has not been updated - it still shows only the "Dialup" servers"
>
>
> I take it back - I've just looked, and the information *has* been updated. Well done, Force 9!

Thanks Stephen - I'd checked the support pages before I posted and hadn't noticed the change (or it was there).

Can someone from F9 comment still comment on the DNS Ip addresses being in the same subnet and how this affects resilence? Otherwise I'm in the same boat as Stephen, and will use an ADSL one as a primary and a dialup as a secondary.

Regards

Neil
N/A

Re: RE: DNS server IP addresses - ADSL vs Dialup

Can someone from F9 comment still comment on the DNS Ip addresses being in the same subnet and how this affects resilence? Otherwise I'm in the same boat as Stephen, and will use an ADSL one as a primary and a dialup as a secondary.

Anyone from F9 care to comment?

Neil