cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS - Redirecting www.domainname to another server.

marklamond

Hi there,

I've organised some external hosting due to exceeding the bandwidth limits of my account and wish to leave my domain registered and hosted with F9 if at all possible, and just point any www requests to the new host. What i want to do is make requests to www.marklamond.co.uk point to www.marklamond.tsohost.co.uk, so i set up the DNS entries as follows after looking at the FAQ's.

Left - www
Type - CNAME
Right - marklamond.tsohost.co.uk. (with trailing dot)

As i understand it, this will forward any www requests to www at marklamond.tsohost.co.uk. However, i get an error from CPANEL on the new host saying there is no site configured at this address.

I've also tried setting the Right entry to: www.marklamond.tsohost.co.uk. but i still get the same problem. When i use NSLOOKUP to check whats going on, everything appears to be okay, there are also no problems looking at www.marklamond.tsohost.co.uk directly.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated Smiley

Cheers,
2 REPLIES
N/A

DNS changes Ivan

Hello Markl,

I dont know "if" this is relevant but what did pop into my head was that sometimes when you make changes to any DNS server database records it might have to be probergated to other DNS servers before the full effect of the change/s comes into effect or before it becomes apparent?? just a thought!! might need 24/48hrs possibly??

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
marklamond

Thanks for the reply, it seems to be okay now.

I got an e-mail back from the hosting company to say that they have made changes so their server know knows what to do when it gets a request for www.marklamond.co.uk - i tried this myself, but i couldn't set up my domain name on the server through CPANEL as it performs a check to see where the entries point to (and fails when it sees that it isnt managing DNS for the domain, as F9 are), but they have made the changes manually.

Cheers,