cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Problems

N/A

DNS Problems

I'm having problems browsing. I've checked my setup, both network settings (I'm using Win98 first edition), and the router settings (DSL-504)

If I dial-up, browse to a site, then drop the line, I can move around the site fine (as now). If I try to move away, or connect without dialling up first, I just get the old "The page cannot be displayed", "Cannot find server or DNS Error" message.

I've had the router checked by someone else, and it runs fine there.

Anyone any ideas?
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: DNS Problems

Sounds like DNS. Have you tried entering DNS settings into your network card settings? This may fix your problem.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Sounds like DNS. Have you tried entering DNS settings into your network card settings? This may fix your problem.
>
Yes, I've put 194.74.65.98 in (I believe that's the right address?)
I've also added 192.168.0.1 on the off chance that it needs to know where to look first. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

N/A

Forget my previous post. The 192.168.0.1 hadn't taken (I must have missed an "OK"). With it, it seems to work. Thanks.

N/A

The dns are listed below.

DNS - primary 212.159.11.150
DNS - secondary 212.159.13.150

Add these to your network card. The default gateway is your network address you have assigned to the ADSL device. Not the real IP.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Kevin,

I'm having the same browsing issues but I'm using router and it has the DNS entries you've given configured. I also have entered them within the TCP/IP settings in Windows XP. It works fine but every now and then it comes back with DNS resolver issues..

I've tried pinging 212.159.11.150 and the secondary DNS Server and replies from both of them are not satisfactory.. sometimes upto 50% packet loss.

Is it anything to do with the homegateway router issue you guys are dealing with the BT at present..?

Atta Rehman

> The dns are listed below.
>
> DNS - primary 212.159.11.150
> DNS - secondary 212.159.13.150
>
> Add these to your network card. The default gateway is your network address you have assigned to the ADSL device. Not the real IP.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Kevin
>
>
> --
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

Just tried to go to a website and it came back with "Cannot find server or DNS Error" Internet Explorer

So I tried nslookup from command prompt:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINXP>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 212.159.11.150: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 212.159.13.150: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 212.159.11.150

Looks like every now and then force9 DNS servers experience problems resolving DNS queries.. possibly to do with the connectivity issues.

Kind Regards
Atta Rehman

> Kevin,
>
> I'm having the same browsing issues but I'm using router and it has the DNS entries you've given configured. I also have entered them within the TCP/IP settings in Windows XP. It works fine but every now and then it comes back with DNS resolver issues..
>
> I've tried pinging 212.159.11.150 and the secondary DNS Server and replies from both of them are not satisfactory.. sometimes upto 50% packet loss.
>
> Is it anything to do with the homegateway router issue you guys are dealing with the BT at present..?
>
> Atta Rehman
>
> > The dns are listed below.
> >
> > DNS - primary 212.159.11.150
> > DNS - secondary 212.159.13.150
> >
> > Add these to your network card. The default gateway is your network address you have assigned to the ADSL device. Not the real IP.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> >
> > --
> > --
> > | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> > | Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
> > | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> > + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----