cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DI-634M having trouble :(

N/A

i got it all set up right (followed instructions)

it doesnt communicate with my DSL-300T ethernet modem when i use the ping test utility i type in the IP of the modem and doesnt find it and i cant access the internet unless i just use the modem Sad

any ideas to get me online with my router?
15 REPLIES
N/A

FWIW I hate this sort of multi device solution, If you want a wireless router buy one with a DSL modem built in, anything else is a flase economy.

In the name of helping out the first thing is a structured power cycle, as everthing is now probably DHCP dependant. Your modem will be getting an external address from F9, and providing an internal address by default. It's *probably* providing a DHCP service for internal devices.

Turn everything off.

Turn on the ethernet modem, wait at least two minutes for it come up properly, and start serving DHCP addresses.

Then turn on the router. Again wait at least two minutes for it to get a DHCP address from the modem and be ready to serve the NAT address to your machine.

Than start up your machine.

If you've left everything as default this should work.

Can you ping your router?
N/A

i can access my routers settings, its just getting on the inernet is the problem Sad

also i dont like it either but i cant find any other MIMO routers with built in modem.

the modem + router do work, i can play LAN games etc. just the internet dont work Sad
N/A

the modem + router do work, i can play LAN games etc. just the internet dont work Sad

OK, looks like a browser or DNS issue.

Are you using DNS forwarding? Try putting the F9's DNS settings directly into the network properties on your PC.

can you do tracert to eg. www.bbc.co.uk if not can you tracert to 212.58.224.81 ?
N/A

OK, looks like a browser or DNS issue.

thats wat the guy on the phone said.

i ve tried putting the settings directly into the TCIP properties on my LAN connection as the guy the phone said and it still doesnt work.

wat is DNS forwarding? do i need it?/how do u use it if i do?

also i didnt have this problem on my old 54G (built in modem.
N/A

DNS Forwarding is where rather than having your DNS settings in your local settings (as you now have) your machine thinks your DNS is your router, your router then forwards any DNS requests to the DNS supplied by it's own recived DHCP settings.

It usually works, but can be unreliable, especially with muliple devices.

What about my other q's?

if you ping www.bbc.co.uk from the command line, if you get a host not found error it's probably DNS.

Also what happens if you put http://212.58.224.81 into your browser? if that works it's definately DNS. If not let us know what tracert 212.58.224.81 gives you, and we'll take it from there.
N/A

well i guess it must be DNS because ive tried pinging a few sites as told by the guy on the phone and it didnt work along with the ones u gave me, also in my router ive got the DNS as 212.159.13.49 and the 2nd one as 212.159.13.50. I got it in my modem too and i put my DNS address in my TCIP LAN properties. works fine wen i just use the modem.
N/A

Have you tried the http://212.58.224.81 straight into your browser.

If this works it's really truly definately DNS.

If this doesn't work we might have to look elsewhere as well.

Also if you could open the command line

type tracert 212.58.224.81

and post the result here

Do you have any firewall, internet security type packages on your machine?

You see, if it's DNS the IP address into browser I posted above should take you to the BBC web site. If it doesn;t there might be something else borked. Tracert direct to the IP address will check that things are getting past your router at least.
N/A

i tried it and it didnt work.

i did the tracert thing and it timed out each time (15 times then i stopped)

even the guys at dlink r puzzled, tomorrow a senior tech. is calling me back to help me.

also if i was to get a ADSL Modem Router 4-Port and set that up and get it workin then plug the wired router into the WAN port on my wireless router would that work? (give my wireless network internet?)
N/A

If tracert timed out even getting to your router then you have borkage beyond compare IMO.

As it works through your modem direct I don't think it's your system at that level, but as MIMO is not supported by anything natively I have to suspect a poorly written driver or a conflict with an other driver on your system.

Good luck with Dlink support. I've had some high level escalation with them and they're good so here's hoping.

Sorry I couldn;t help more, let us know how you get on.
N/A

thanks all who tried to help.

also if i was to get a ADSL Modem Router 4-Port and set that up and get it workin then plug the wired router into the WAN port on my wireless router would that work? (give my wireless network internet?)
N/A

Doubt it Sad given that an ethernet modem is effectivly a router.

It's something stupid, I'll bet. If you can play LAN games accross the router.

Double check everything, IP addresses of your machine, both sides of the router the internal address of the ethernet modem, especially the subnet's and gateways of everything.
N/A

did that and started over again 3 times, EVEN with guidence from the guys at DLINK each time, thats why a super boff is phoning bk l8r
N/A

Hmm ok sounds like a similar setup I have. So I'll details how I did it, as much shoul dbe the same.

Zoom X4 ASDL Ethernet Modem
USR8054 Wirless Router & Switch

== Configure DMZ Forwarding ==

1) Configured Zoom X4 Modem setting directly using supplied cross over cable connected to PC. This allows me to fully check the ADSL connection and works as a backup if all else fails.

2) Switched off DHCP in the Zoom X4 Ethernet Modem and noted the default subnet mask and IP range. (255.255.255.0, 10.0.0.3 - 10.0.0.10)

3) Selected an IP to use for the forwarding to the router. In this case I chose 10.0.0.3.

4) Setup the Zoom X4 Modem to forward all traffic to the DMZ IP 10.0.0.3
(if you dont do this then any future port forwarding will need to be setup in both the modem and the router)

5) Save settings and reboot

==== This is all the forwarding completed =====

6) Disconnected Zoom X4 from PC and using the same supplied cross over cable I connected it to the WAN Port of the USR Wireless router.

7) Connected PC to Wireless Router using one of the LAN ports via a Standard Ethernet patch cable (not crossover) (DHCP should be enabled by default, if not then you may have to use a fixed IP but should be in manual).

9) Assign fixed IP 10.0.0.3 to the router (as choosen for the DMZ Step 3. above) using the router configuration page.

9) Save & Reboot.

============================================

The above setup will allow you to access the internet and have DHCP served from your Wireless Router ignoring the modem completely. By setting up the DMZ forwarding from the modem to the router you can control the port forwarding without dual maintanance.

This isnt the only way to do it but it works well for me, there are easier ways using DHCP of the modem to assign IP to the Wireless Router etc. but it a little flakey in some setups.

One thing to watch out for is the cross-over cable, using it in the wrong place / not at all will mean you connection will fail :-) it suprised me how many times I have seen that.

Hope this helps,
N/A

Oh btw can you post a trace route to www.yahoo.co.uk?