cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Issues with Voyager 2110 wireless router

N/A

I have the Voyager 2110 wireless router, bought from F9...

It has a nasty habit of losing or failing to renew the IP lease (I think) far too often than seems reasonable. This means the that the main home PC, linked to the Router using the Cat 5 cable, loses connection to the internet.

Timescales vary at random, from losing the connection within a few minutes of starting the PC, to somtimes staying up for hours before losing it.

EventLog has messages like:
"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 999999999X99. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server" (Event 1003) and:
"The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{99X99XX9-9XX9-9999-X9XX-9XXX99X9X99X} because a master browser was stopped." (Event 8033). Also a set of other similar DHCP / IP related entries.

I've tried "ipconfig /renew" (or Connection Repair or Disable/Enable), and this sometimes gives temporary relief - but the problem recurs quickly.

I'm using Broadband plus, so using Dynamic IP (and apparently you can't go Static with BB Plus!)

F9 CSD said "... providing your network is set up correctly, you should be able to send / recieve traffic without issue..." Thanks guys, I worked out for myself that I "should be able to send/receive without issue".

Any thoughts, anyone? (PS, I'm not a network-wallah: some guys at work genned me up on the jargon...)

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hello,

I'm using Broadband plus, so using Dynamic IP (and apparently you can't go Static with BB Plus!)
IMO this is whats at the heart of the problem here & Yes! I think you would be much better off if you had a fixed or static IP address for your router (the WAN IP address which is public facing or in other words can be seen out on the internet).

**You could easily setup your own network behined the router (inside) using your own IP ranges such as the commonly used IP's such as 192.168.50. xxx

**The router would be give a static IP from F9 such as 212.156.66.xxx if you changed the service type from BB+.

**The problem is clearly to do with the renewal period or lease duration of the IP picked up at the outset and as you say a renewal or refresh seems to fail. The second problem of browser election is a side effect of the lost IP lease which means that the machine or router or device is lost from the master browser list (this is typical microsoft network techie speak).

**IMO going static IP would solve this and make life simpler for you, but you would have to imput the new IP's by hand but once its done it's done (i.e. no lease durations to worry about). Hope this all makes sense to you, but if you have any other questions thats fine either PM me or email me.

Ivan
N/A

Thanks cyteck. I'm trying F9 again to see what non-BBPlus options there are to give me a static IP. Thanks again. (A thought: what is it that determines what the lease period is, or whether a renewal is granted? If I'm trying to get too clever, do say so!) Cheers
N/A

Hello Again thardisty

I think if my computer training & studies servers me correctly? I have a feeling that the lease duration cannot be set or determined by the client machine (device). In other words "if you are" using a DHCP server inorder to assign your computer & or router an IP address the lease duration is set by the DHCP server NOT the client device that receives it. In other words you cannot change the lease period yourself. But you should be able to force a release and a refresh of the lease when all things are working correctly but this seems to were the ball game goes pear shaped? The lease of the IP address can be a problem if you want or need more control over the IP.

**However to be fair the lease duration can be made longer or shorter in some instances but I dont know how F9 use their DHCP. ISP's in the old days used DHCP servers to give out very temporarily IP's so when you had finished with your dailup internet connection the IP was released back into the IP pool and then it was available for another connection or user to pick up. Thus the lease durations were on the short side.

**IMO routers are always MUCH better off with a fixed or static IP address, this in my personal experience does make life easier once things are setup correctly. It means that life isnt made more complex due to having to remember leases or duration of leases when it comes to trouble shooting. I think you'll be able to appreciate this point even more so at the moment.

Ivan