cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curiosity as regards my overall connection

N/A

okay the title possibly isnt the best but im curious about this.

after finally resolving my problem about 2 weeks ago with the dropping connection, my torrents were running at around 200kb/s in total between them, which when i was having the issues with my connection dropping it totalled about 60kb/s.

about an hour ago, my connection cut itself out (lost sync) for about 30 seconds, which i am aware occassional outages arent a big issue. however now my torrents are running at the 60kb/s again and when using torrents, my net browsing is slowing down.
considering when the torrents were running at 200kb/s just before this outtage and i was net-surfing i was getting little slow-down, im finding this rather confusing to say the least.

anyone care to have some suggestions?

oh and speed-tests and line tests are all a-ok apparently, showing my line as being exceptionally high quality and me getting a 1800 downstream. i should also probably add its a 2mb Premier account im using too.
7 REPLIES
N/A

have you read the vision for 2006 updates

if not i would suggest you read them

they are many changes to p2p and usenet, and now during peak time p2p downloads are going to be throttled to prevent the detrimental effect it has on the network.

regards
mike
N/A

*sigh* i think ive had enough frankly.

given my torrents have become capped at around 20kb/s for most of today. on a sposed 2mb "premier" line, its just ridiculous. i must say overall, i have become less and less pleased with Force9, and instead of passing people here when they switch ISPs, im passing them to other places.

it wouldnt be so bad if it was just those, but its the fact that as a result of whatever method theyre using everything slows down when im using torrents. not acceptable.

edit: having just checked my usage i should have another what 3-4gb of full speed uploading and downloading via torrents. which obviously im not getting. (and might i add have only had for about 8 weeks of full speed torrents since August due to various idiocies somewhere within the company)

for a product that advertised itself on its ability with online games and downloads, i have been disappointed on both fronts, with problems cropping up with both. whats the point of paying for a 2mb line when your downloads are going at the speed of a dial-up connection?
N/A

what torrent software are you using

some are notorius for using too much bandwidth, especially emule

many open numerous ports, to receive as much data as possible, are you not sure it might be the peers that are restricting how much you get from them

i would also check your task-manager and see what processes you are running and which ones are taking up the most cpu time.

one program using too much cpu time will cause all other programs to run slow

the problem with some online games is that they use p2p protocols, and cause problems, any programs using steam (ie half-life) and WoW are the 2 that have been affected, F9 are looking into these and if remember from the meeting yesterday they have fixed the issues with WoW, but can't remember where they were with half-life. So bear with them and give them a chance, let them know which games you're having problems with, they maybe able to shed some light on the issues you have, and so could some of the regular posters on the forums.

regards
mike
N/A

Azureus, however i know it is not a case of the other users restricting me due to as a minor stress test just to see, i get the same total download speed using 3 torrents all active or 20.

i havent used straight p2p software such as emule (which the main section of it is similar to kazaa) for the simple reason that they DO use too much bandwidth.

and my pc is not anywhere close to using full capacity, given i'm running Azureus, IE, Msn messenger and a couple of windows explorer windows with a 3ghz cpu and 2gb ram.

the thing is, the problem i had before kept merely getting bounced back and forth between F9 and BT until it just fixed itself, with neither side admitting to something theyd done either causing it nor fixing it. it took overall around 2 months.

even the online games that DONT include p2p protocols have had things were my connection cuts out or extreme lag when no-one else suffers from it.
N/A

I seem to recall it said yesterday that usage speeds will be reset at the next billing date. This should then allow you full speed downloads for the first 20GB and then bronze queue thereafter. As much as it pains to to say it, wait until your next billing date (how close are you to it?) just to make sure the changes do come into effect.

Mark
N/A

given theyve never reset them correctly for me the past couple of months, im not willing to pay out twice for the same month when i migrate.

plus given i havent even hit this months 20gb download cap yet and im getting speed issues, i have no faith that the exact same wont happen next month or the month after.

and given i was going to add 2 more computers with this connection, im not hanging around to inflict download speeds on 3 pcs.

it might seem like im making a big deal of this, but this is a case of "too many straws breaking the camels back" and as far as im concerned "they havent provided the service ive been paying for", what with me not being able to use my connection for half the time for the best part of 3 months. i can use it now certainly (even with the incorrect speed capping of my downloads), but they failed for half my time here.
N/A

are you sure your like is suitable for 2mb, as it seems from some of the issues you have been getting, you may have problems with your actual line.

do you suffer any problems on voice calls, and do you get interference when making voice calls when using the net. if you do then this is definitely a line fault and i would suggest you report it to bt as a normal fault, remember faults on your line which are detected when making voice calls will affect your adsl.

doesn't matter if your machine is anywhere close to using full capacity, one program can cause serious problems for the rest of the machine.

I installed net framework 2 the other day, but this ground my athlon 64 3000, with 1gb of memory to an almost complete standstill. Removing it and everything was fine again. Check for the following in task manager 'mscorsvw.exe' and if running can take upto 99% of processor time, if it is running you may also find msiexec running as well, which can also use a lot of cpu time if its crashed.

As for p2p traffic, this is capped during peak times to a certain degree, and then lifted after midnight. I can confirm this as have been using p2p today, of which I usually get high speeds on using azurues, but between 4pm and midnight the speeds dropped to around 17k while previously i was hitting 60k on my 1mb connection.

regards
mike