cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating new database in mySql

N/A

How do I create a new database in mySql, in addition to the database that was created when I started.
Where is this database created, and how can I access it from php scripts?

How can I do something like:
mysqladmin -p create my_own_db

mysql -p my_own_db < DOCS/mysql-tables.sql'

The docs directory is in my cgi server space.

I am trying to install OWL (see it in owl.sourceforge.net).

Thanks very much for any help, and please cc email to info@napchan.com

Eli
2 REPLIES
N/A

Eli

(I'll email this as well).

How do I create a new database in mySql, in addition to the database that was created when I started.

You can't create databases on the F9 MySQL server - you can only have the 1 database that F9 created for you.

Where is this database created

It's usually created on rumpus.force9.net - your email from F9 confirming database creation would tell you. I don't believe that you can get file access to the database.

how can I access it from php scripts?

You really ought to check this forum first!! Smiley See this thread on SQL Host Name

How can I do something like:
mysqladmin -p create my_own_db

mysql -p my_own_db < DOCS/mysql-tables.sql'

The docs directory is in my cgi server space.

You can't create a new database with mysqladmin, you'll have to use the one F9 created.

To run a SQL script against your database, login to the cgi server (cgi.napchan.force9.co.uk) with telnet and use the mysql command from there, something like the following:
mysql -p -h rumpus.force9.net -d napchan_f9  --user napchan

Enter your password and when you are in the MySQL command prompt enter :
source DOCS/mysql-tables.sql

Or you could use your variation:
mysql -p -h rumpus.force9.net -d napchan_f9  --user napchan < DOCS/mysql-tables.sql

I am trying to install OWL (see it in owl.sourceforge.net).

See also TikiWiki at http://www.tikiwiki.org - it installed fine for me yesterday!

Regards

Neil
N/A

Copied from email:

Hello and thanks very much. Hope you don't mind me sending this to you directly. If you prefer, I can send it to forum as well.

It's best to use the forum, then you'll most likely get a broader range of input and allow other people the benefit.

You can't create databases on the F9 MySQL server - you can only have the 1 database that F9 created for you.
:How can I backup this database?

You use phpMyAdmin on the portal to manage your database and use the export feature to backup. Alternatively, you can use the mysql command from the cgi server and finally you could always install something like SQLyog to backup the database.

Where is this database created
It's usually created on rumpus.force9.net - your email from F9 confirming database creation would tell you. I don't believe that you can get file access to the database.

can I get shell access to it?

Why would you want to? As I said, I don't think you can - but to get a definitive answer, use Contact us and ask F9.

Neil