cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cr*p line quality and BT

N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

Since Tuesday, there has been a terrible crackle on my line. At times, it gets so bad that you cannot hear the dial tone and obviously it is affecting my internet connection. I looked at router stats today and had a 6 figure decibel rating!!!!

I have done the usual remove faceplate and connect to main socket and it is the same. I ran the fault checker on the BT site and it reported no problem. I telephoned BT and logged the fault and all was well. BT rang and closed the fault as there was none found and the fault appeared to have gone, 10 minutes later the fault was back again. I wentthrough thei process another two times today and have been unable to use the telephone since 2pm this afternoon due to line noise.

I have a test phone left by the BT engineer last time he came for situations like this, but it has achieved nothing. All I can think is that the cables to my road are deep in water as this sometimes happens when it is wet, although the line only loses synch not fails altogether.

The biggest problem after initially being told I could have an engineer tomorrow morning is that it is going to be about 10 days, by which time I will a) have gone totally mad with the line quality and being unable to connect, or b) the fault will have fixed itself once the cables have dried out.

Heads they win, tails I lose Sad

Mark
11 REPLIES
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

Mark,

Who ever said life was fair?Huh (sometimes life sucks big style mate and there feck all you can do about it and that's a fact!?!?) :roll: Cry Evil Shockedops: :roll:

Ivan
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Cr*p line quality and BT

Hi Mark,
I sympathise.
I do remember a test that was done on my phone when listening for noise. It was, pick up receiver and listen for noise on top of dialtone, then see if it reduced or disappeared when you pressed '0' .
Sorry, but I don't know what it achieved, but the results may be useful to tell engineer when he calls.
Also, if modem is disconnected, and only 1 phone plugged into master skt, is there still a problem? (ie, A conventional phone only connection). Again, this may be useful for bt engineer.
Sorry I can be of no further help.
robinh
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

I have actually taken the face plate off the socket and plugged directly into the wall in the test aocket with the BT supplied phone, and still couldn't hear the dial tone.

So far this morning it appears to be okay, but I am trying to get everything done quickly just in case Smiley

Mark
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

Since my last posting, I have managed about 2 hours worth of internet due to the continuous crackling. I did check my exchange details and saw that the Maxadsl upgrade has been completed. I am wondering if this replacement card could be causing my problems. Tried the fault finder again and still it says my line is fine Sad

Mark
astarsolutions
Grafter

Cr*p line quality and BT

This sounds like its almost certainly BT's fault and nothing to do with F9, if you want to get it fixed you need to keep on at them; ideally find the conditions under which this is occurring (time of day, using the line, etc...), get an engineer around and let them see what is happening.
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

they may have upgraded with a faulty card, or it may just not be seated properly.

usually when i have bad noise on the line, its because off water getting into the junction box on the pole, it took bt over 6 months to acknowledge that was the problem. since it got fixed its been ok.

only thing down is there are workmen digging around the bt box, so just waiting to see how long it is before my connection goes capputt....

regards
mike
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

Normally when the weather is wet, there is a slight hiss on the line but this time, as I say, you can't even hear the dial tone above it most of the time. I have an engineer booked for Thursday afternoon (hopefully), by which time the weather will have cleared and there will be not the slightest sound on the line!!!

Once every 6 months or so this becomes a problem, but normally the fault checker will show a problem. At the moment it is still showing as no fault, therefore it must be in my house!!! There is no way I can add anything to the open fault to explain what I have done in trying to erradicate the problem and speaking to Mumbai last week just "did my head in" (I don't generally have a problem with overseas call centres, but when it is something local to me and I can't make the person understand).

Sigh. I suppose all will be as "clear as mud" come Thursday.

Mark
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

usually if this happens when it rains, then get the engineer to check the following areas

1) Green Telecom box in street, make sure water not getting into circuits.
2) Telegraph pole - ensure that box is securely fitted and not able to get water in.
3) Point of cable going into house, depending on if goes directly to master socket or via a filter first. if filter first get him to replace it. if master socket get them to replace cover if not a dual face-plate.

regards
mike
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

Got two BT engineers outside this morning at 0830!! They ran a test at the exchange before coming out which showed an earth fault somewhere. They then checked where the wiring enters the house to the master socket and decided the builders had used the wrong wiring!! (Why the previous engineers hadn't mentioned this). Apparently the wiring from the entry point to the socket is alarm wire and not telephone and the only way to replace is to rip out parts of the wall to get to it.

When we first moved in, we had a second line added so one could be a dedicated internet (dial up) line, then when we got BB, the second line was terminated. The engineers went back to the green box and changed the wiring over so that we are now using the 2nd lines wiring on thefirst line (still with me?).

So far all is well, but then we haven't had the terrible rainy conditions of a week ago and the joints could have started to dry out. Time will tell I suppose. It was mentioned that the underground faults investigation team really should have been involved after the 3rd report, well that was over 2 years ago!!!

I think if it goes duff on me again i'll move, it's bound to be cheaper Smiley

Mark
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Cr*p line quality and BT

Hi Mark, glad to hear some success!
You don't mention whether a foc visit? BUT, mind they don't charge you, as it is not really a bt reponsibility?
Keep a close eye, (and router logs perhas?) If fault persists, then that is PROOF that the work they did was not the cause of failure.
Regards, robinh
ps. A neighbour about 200M FURTHER than me from my exchange has just been offered f9 8MB upgrade. (Their cable passes my house). INTERESTING, as I am waiting to be dropped from 2MB to 1MB due to carp aluminium cable!
N/A

Cr*p line quality and BT

Hi Mark, glad to hear some success!
You don't mention whether a foc visit? BUT, mind they don't charge you, as it is not really a bt reponsibility?

I wasn't asked to sign for anything, so any charges (if levied) will be disputed. The change of the lines at the green box, I would think constitutes that a fault was found on the line rather than on my side. I would also argue the t*ss that if this cabling was such a problem, why hadn't it been mentioned previously, it's not as though there haven't been enough visits in the past!!

After speaking to the engineers, yes you are right that the wrong cabling being used isn't a BT fault, but my responsibility for the line doesn't come into effect until the master socket, anything before that is not my problem (apparently), so long as I have not modified it in any way.

Here's hoping

Mark