cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting the Days, Hours, Minutes & Seconds

N/A

Counting the Days, Hours, Minutes & Seconds

Well as of feb 21st BT finally upgraded my exchange i have waited since the launch of ADSL and even considered moving so i could get it hehe

anyway just a quicky imagine this situation and help me answer this question

I have one phone socket with a splitter on it to provide phone at the socket and an extension lead around the room to my desk for my modem (on it's way it does pass/connect to the sky box) so where do i put the filters and how many will i need??

Thanx for any help i just want to know this so i can get them in advance Smiley
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Counting the Days, Hours, Minutes & Seconds

> I have one phone socket with a splitter on it to provide phone at the socket and an extension lead around the room to my desk for my modem (on it's way it does pass/connect to the sky box) so where do i put the filters and how many will i need??

Well, *one* way of doing this would be to replace the splitter with a microfilter and then plug the splitter into the "POTS" side of the microfilter. From the splitter one side would go to the phone, the other to the satellite box (ie both these end up feeding into the POTS side of the microfilter). Then you would need a long lead going from the ADSL side of the microfilter, past your satellite box, and all the way to the ADSL modem on your desk.

*Another* way would be to plug a microfilter into the phone branch of the splitter and then to plug the phone into the POTS side of this splitter. Your extension lead would stay in the other side of the splitter, but at the end of it, you'd plug in another microfilter. The satellite box would feed into the POTS side of this, and the ADSL modem would go into the ADSL side.

The choice is yours - you either have a single microfilter, but an extra run of cable, or two microfilters, and no additional cable run.
N/A

RE: Counting the Days, Hours, Minutes & Seconds

By the way, the ADSL side of a microfilter is usually an RJ-11 socket, not a BT phone socket, so you need cable with an appropriate plug.