cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool & Unusual Use of Broadband?

N/A

Hi All,

I would love to hear about any interesting and novel uses for broadband. Do any of you use it for anything 'out of the ordinary'? Everyone knows about faster downloading, browsing, video conferencing and so on, it's the less obvious things I am interested in.

As a minor example - once my friends & family are online, I was thinking of setting up an MP3 and photograph server that we could share. (Still need to figure out the details!)

I would like to make full use of this bandwidth once I get it, and I would hate to have it for a year and then read about something and think 'Damn! Why didn't I think of that a year ago!" ;-)

Hope you know what I mean! I would also appreciate any links on this subject.

Cheers
Alan
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I'm moving this to the General forum as it is more apropriate for there.

I hope your MP3 server will only contain mp3s which you have permission to share or own the copyright for...

Chris
N/A

I hope your MP3 server will only contain mp3s which you have permission to share or own the copyright for...

Of course! That goes without saying!
michaelscott
Grafter

I use my broadband as
* a web server to beta test an online game I'm making
* an FTP server so I can access some of my files from college
* and as an IRC server so I can chat to my mates

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Stray list tag removed.]
csogilvie
Grafter

My broadband is used for:

• Web Server
  • FTP Server
  • CVS Server
  • E-Mail Server
  • General Surfing
N/A

I've used it in the past to host a video stream server for a friend. He wanted to have a 24/7 feed available on the net of the foxes den at the bottom of his garden.
N/A

Probably one of the best things is you can download "biology" pictures especially of the "female form" that much quicker... this results in an accelerated ummm... er... "education" ?

Then of course you need to hide these picture from your misses because for some reason they get all touchy about you knowing alot about the "biology" of other women....
N/A

Thats probably the best explanation I have seen for it so far.

Some of things in the past I have used it for:

• Bandwidth intensive statistics generation
  • Automated administration of games servers
  • Streaming MP3's to my office. Technicaly not sharing or radio broadcast as I own the media, and was never available for anybody else to access
  • Providing a backup SMS & Pager broadcast centre during maintainance and configuration testing of our own unit

There are one or two more relating to faxes and database projects, but I can't talk of them until the ideas have been rejected or accepted by my employer.
N/A

hmm...
i've got the following services running off a linux box on my connection

web server
Counter-Strike server
Ventrilo voice chat server
Eggdrop IRC bot
I also host a few shell accounts for my buddies (but they get nearly no use)
N/A

Streaming MP3's to my office.

Hi Philip,

How exactly do you connect to your home PC from work?

Cheers
Alan
N/A

Two methods.

At first, I used a bog standard shoutcast server before moving to Icecast.

After that, I pretty much placed all comunication over a SSH tunnel. Provinging a single forwarded port, then having multiple connections routed via the tunnel.

It was reasly just the shout/Icecast server as normal, but having a pet project for linking my home and office together.

Because our router could not use VPN or setup port forwarding at the time, my project was to provide a method of connecting into the site. This outgoing tunnel from the office allowed the reverse connections I needed.
N/A

Whilst on the subject of unusual uses,any musicians out there know if any online "jam" sessions excist?

Ian & linda Jordan
N/A

If there isn't then there should be
N/A

I agree midi+broadband=interesting possabilities (or should)

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

might as well be midi+dialup...