cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Page

N/A

Cool Page

Can someone help me on this?

I bought applets package but can't operate it.

Can someone let me know if I should have downloaded it to a certain location on my PC?

Thanks.[/code]
4 REPLIES
N/A

Cool Page

Dougie:

What sort of applets are these? (Java? Any other details? What are they supposed to do?)

What documentation comes with them? If they're for use in a web browser, I'd expect you would need to use an "applet" element (deprecated) or an "object" element in your HTML markup, and the documentation should give you some idea of what to code and what parameters to provide.

Where are you hoping to use them? (On a Force9 website?)

One of my "quirks", Dougie, I tend to dissociate the post title from the post content, so I didn't take much notice of the "Cool Page". I assume the applets are something to do with some product of that name?
N/A

Cool Page

I downloaded the applets from this site: www.dseffects.com

I bought the basic version of Cool Page and was so impressed I upgraded to their top package - Cool Page webmaster.

As part of CP, there are dozens of 'free' applets. If you want to remove the advert on them 'DSeffects.com' you can buy the registration which I did.

Basically you are asked to put in the URL of the site, www.stereocatbabies.co.uk then the applet HTML code but it doesn't seem to work.
N/A

Cool Page

From what I can see, when you download them, you get a zip file, presumably containing a mixture of Java classes ("class" files) and "jar" (Java Archive) files (which are also a kind of zip file), one for each applet. The "jar" files will themselves contain Java class files and other reources required for that particular applet.

They seem to have facilities on their website to help with the HTML required to use them, and they certainly have descriptions of the parameters each one takes. From what I've seen, they're using "applet" elements, even though these have been deprecated in the HTML standards in favour of "object".

So, if you want to use a particular applet in one of your pages, you'd first need to place the "jar" file for that applet in a known location in your webspace, so you can refer to that location in the HTML.

I've picked pick one to use as an example: "rain". (Sorry! But would you have preferred "snow"?)

Here's how I created this example. I downloaded their applet, which I took straight from their webpage, and I also took the example image they use, which I called "riverScene.jpg"

riverScene.jpg, size 208 x 156

Note that the size of riverScene.jpg is 208x156 pixels. This will determine the size parameters given to the applet.

I decided to place the HTML I was going to write to use this applet in a directory called "example" in my webspace. I created a subdirectory called "image" and another subdirectory called "applet" I placed "riverScene.jpg" in the image directory, and "DS_Rain.class" in the applet directory.

So this is the directory structure:

example
|
+-- applet (directory)
|
+-- image (directory)

Bearing in mind the HTML itself was to go in the directory "example" (which contains both "applet" and "image"), the "applet" HTML element needs to indicate the applet itself is in the subdirectory called "applet", which is done by coding a "codebase" attribute for the element (see Applet) The HTML markup, so far, showing both the element's start tag and its end tag, is:

<applet codebase="applet"></applet>

We now need to specify the applet itself, which is "DS_Rain", identified by its class file, "DS_Rain.class", and size parameters -- it needs to display our picture, "riverScene.jpg", so we need a size of 208 by 156. Here's what we now have:

<applet code="DS_Rain.class" codebase="applet" width="208" height="156"></applet>

The applet needs some parameters to tell it how to operate.

In HTML, applet parameters are supplied by coding "param" elements which form the content of the "applet" element -- ie they are coded within the start and end tags of the "applet" element. You will see from the HTML specification that "param" elements have no content of their own, and therefore require no end tag to delimit the content -- the end tag is, in fact, forbidden.

"param" elements do not have content, but they do have attributes. You need to look at the dseffects website to find out what can be coded for the "name" and "value" attributes of the "param". For the DS_Rain applet class, we will end up with a minimum HTML something like this:

<applet code="DS_Rain.class" codebase="applet" width="208" height="156">
<param name="credits" value="Applet by Dario Sciacca (www.dseffects.com)" />
<param name="image" value="image/riverScene.jpg" />
</applet>

The "credits" parameter is required unchanged, otherwise the applet will not work -- it's a kind of "copyright" by the author, to ensure he gets credited.

The "image" parameter refers to the picture we want to be displayed.

Those are the only required parameters, but many others may be used to specify the number of raindrops, their speed, optional text to display, its color, and where it should appear, how it should scroll, and so forth. Plenty to play with, some of which are not explained very well. Plus, parameters specific to people who have registered their copy of the applet. So you should definitely look to see what they are!
N/A

Cool Page

Thanks very much indeed 'task'.

I'll try this out as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

Smiley