cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant disconnections ....

jfrank
Grafter

I lose connection on my DSL constantly. The longest it has connected for is around 10-15 minutes before I am disconnected.

The phone line is a second line, master socket, JUST for Net use. I have tried with and without MicroFilters and nothing else shares the line, I don't subscribe to any call waiting etc. I have also tried resetting the modem, re-installing it, updating the Drivers ...and praying.

The Modem S/W reports: Modem dropped the line due to no reply from DSLAM

(It's happened twice while writing this, i'll have to cut and paste it in after Sad )

Anyone else have this problem?

Spec:
Win2000Pro (sp4)
IE 6 (sp1)
25 REPLIES
N/A

Yes I have exactly the same problem - using the PCI modem that F9 supplied and the correct drivers - disconnects all the time, like every 2/3 mins if unlucky! Did you get any kind of solution? I have ordered an Alcatel USB modem from Ebay to see if it is a modem fault.
Phil
Cry
jfrank
Grafter

No solution as yet. I just made a PPP.LOG and sent it to support to see if they can make any sense of it (If you need help making one on Win200Pro, i can help). It does show the line dropping several times and may help determine whether the problem is local or not.

My next idea is to borrow my mates Laptop and see if it's the actual PC b4 I start whinging at F9 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Best o' luck, let me know if u sort anything, i'll do the same.

Jf
N/A

Well I'm waiting for the Alcatel modem to arrive today - I'll try that. But I did re-install the PCI modem drivers and fingers crossed it looks to have solved it - I'll let you know - thanks for the advice! Tongue
N/A

yes I have had this with one of are customers
after about a month and several call out from BT it turned out to be a dodge phone line coming into the building.
jfrank
Grafter

dodge phone oscket

I just had BT Engineer out, he confirmed that the line was OK. Still got the problem though, I have to see if I can borrow my mates laptop or something, because I can't work out what else could be wrong, the only things I have not changed (cos of the cost) is the modem, which is brand new, and the PC.
N/A

It took BT 3 call outs and each time they said the line was ok as the line was always up when they came. It was only perseverance by one BT engineer who waited around until the line dropped that he found the fault.
jfrank
Grafter

hmmm

So the fault was due to the localised part (that BT extend to your socket) of the wire that was the problem? I am seriously considering buying a new PC out of desperation, I would e gutted if a few thousand quid didnt fix it Smiley
N/A

Hi
My problem seemed to "right" itself. I un-installed the PCI Modem drivers, rebooted and re-installed them - all looks ok now - no disconnections Cheesy - all it cost me was an Alcatel USB Modem which is now not required - so will have to re-list on Ebay Cry
Hoping your connections are better? Email me direct if I can be of any help or log onto my MSN IM
Phil
N/A

constant disconnections

I have the same problem. I am onto my second PCI modem from F9. they have done line tests, and I had a BT engineer come out. He said that line coming into the house was good.

I am REALLY getting fed up. Sometimes the loss of sync does not happen for a day or two, and other times it happens frequently. I have tried re-installing drivers for the modem, and downloading updated bios / XP updates for my machine (Compaq S4700, AMD3200+ chip, ASUS A7N8X-LA motherboard).

I have been in touch with PC World helpline and their suggestion was to download modem drivers again. F9 have said they will arrange for BT engineer again, but if he can't find the problem I will have to pay the charge.

I will be going into PC World to see if they can diagnose the problem or if they can supply me with a different modem for a few days.

Has anyone else had this problem with the dynamode A220 PCI modem? It is driving me nuts!!! :twisted: (When looking at back of machine red light is on, but when sync drops (connection lost) red light flashes. The modem then re-establishes sync (connection).

If anyone has the answer please help!!!! Sad
N/A

Have you?

Hi sithlord
When I first had my ADSL line installed by BT & activated I had a problem of constant random dropped connections. Two things did help to solve or resolve this 1) getting my hands on the latest winXP modem drivers for my make of modem which is a D-Link DSL 200 USB ADSL modem) 2) I contacted BT's DSL tech support engineers who ran several diagnostics on my phone line, which came back & confirmed a high level of noise on my phone line. The phone line from the BT exchange to my house was re-balanced by the BT guy,
I was told by the engineer that he had adjusted the "Gain" on my line, this helps to reduce line noise & thus the cause of dropped connections. These x2 factors the new drivers & the BT line adjustment did solve the problems.

My longest ADSL connection duration with my system running 24/7 is 30 days without a single connection loss.

Best Regards Ivan Cool
N/A

I too had this problem of continued disconnections. A call to 151 fixed the problem though. Ian thought it may have been water getting into the line?

Just a thought.

Mark
N/A

Modems - don't you just hate them

Forget modems - I install adsl for many customers and have had nothing but grief. If I can get them to spend a little more and go for a router, there is never a problem. So much so I am thinking of discounted my charge to compensate. For the extra £30 or so it is crazy not to
N/A

ADSL modems verses Routers

Hi,
This is NOT strictly true at all, I installed my own ADSL using a D-LINK ADSL
DSL 200 USB modem which was recommended to me by one of the F9 support people (many many thanks who ever that person was!) many months ago. The D-Link modem is small very nicley designed, its very well documented too, was incedibly easy and very straight forwards to install and I havent had a seconds problem from it since I purchased it and installed it. Whats more my average connection up time with this device on my ADSL line is 30 days (Yes! thats 30days 24/7 without a single dropped connection or stale session).

ADSL routers are very good when installed correctly by a person who knows how to do this, NOT all ADSL routers are the same and not all of them are by any stretch of the imagination easy to install. Infact some are horrendious from my own experience and Yes! I do have many years experience within IT. So its not as black and white an issue as it might be made out to be.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Yes I agree - ish

Actually, I agree with you almost completely.

For one, you have a modem supplied by a 'competant' manufacturer and I have not experienced any problems so far with any D-Link, or Netgear, or Belkin for that matter.

BUT you say '30 day uptime'. A Router is always up whether the PC is on or not and my experiences are that they never go down. No training every time you switch on and that is when I have had 'modems' (wrong word for them actually as they are adapters).

My answer was, I accept, simplistic, but for the sake of not rambling on, I was being concise so as not to confuse - if that makes sense

Poor documentation and poor drivers are often the main culprits to failure