cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problem

N/A

Connection problem

Since my account with f9 began around 6 months ago I've had the occasional issue of disconnections while downloading a large file. This hasn't concerned me too much, although it is a little annoying.

However, over the last 3 or 4 days I have been unable to connect at all. My status says it is in 'training' mode constantly even though I haven't changed anything on my pc.

I currently have 512k ADSL (the fastest I could get in the area I live) and connect straight through a modem, no router or anything.

Can anyone suggest why this may be happening, and please ask if you require any more information from me.

Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Connection problem

I would suggest it is something to do with the weather as my conncetion has been playing up too, although I am able to connect.

Mark
N/A

Connection problem

Well I have never heard of sunny warm days affecting a connection, I would try to do a reinstall of the modem but I've misplaced my disc.
N/A

Connection problem

Hot can make a difference, especially if you're right on the edge line quality wise anyway.

Is your voice quality good on the phone? Have you got any other stuff on the phone line, extensions or whatever, it might be worth unplugging everything else and seeing if that makes a difference.
N/A

Connection problem

I know the heat isn't affecting my pc too badly as the temps are running quite low, but I will try connecting directly to the phone line tonight with the splitters and see if I can connect then.

We do get the occasional problem with the phone line, unable to ring out and such and I think we are just on the fringe of being able to get 512k as we live quite far from the main exchange.

Will let you know tomorrow how I get on. I'm just a bit sick that I'm paying for a service I can't connect to.
N/A

Line problems Replying Ivan

Hello ianbarclay,

I used to connect to the internet using an ADSL USB Modem and used to also have a 512K connection (very nice it was too!!). When I first had my service installed after a new BT phone line was put into my house about 2 years ago now. Within the first couple of months I had quite a few random dropped connections (very annoying too!). I to got fed up with this and wondered what might be causing this, after a short time I decided to take action and phoned BT via the operator who kindly connected me to BT's DSL team.

The engineer I spoke to was suprisingly very helpful indeed and said he would perform various tests for me to check my line & call me back. He checked for line noise, line balance, line length and SNR. Yes! it was found that indeed my line was abit on the noisy side and that this would explain some of the random dropped connections (excessive noise can be enough to tip the connection over a critical limit which results in a dropped connection). The engineer tweaked the "GAIN" on my phone line which I was told helps to reduce line noise hence no more dropped connections ever since.

**The only occational problem I have with my ADSL connection is a stale session which can easily be solved by a 30min disconnection down time, then reconnection this resets the ADSL line card at the BT exchange.

**Heat or local wheather conditions can affect phone lines but this is usually a low level factor in connection problems as far as I am aware.

**Your best option is to contact customer support and ask them if they could kindly test your connection or possibly run a whoosh test on your line too see if you DO have excessive noise. If excessive noise "is" found then you need to request that F9 contact BT to see if they can condition your phone line and tweak the gain for you and also ask them to balance your line if required. Warning:- This can be a slow process where BT is concerned

NOTE: sadly you can nolonger phone up BT's DSL team like I did as they have put a stop to that one, you have to go through your own ISP unless you are a BT Yahoo or Openworld customer.
Best Regards Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Connection problem

I'm still not up and running so I'll give your suggestions a go and see how I get on.

Thanks cyteck
N/A

Connection problem

Well, I contacted BT. First of all got through to a call centre in India, who told me they couldn't test the line......because they were in India (surprise)

So, they gave me a British number which I rang, and was then told they couldn't do a whoosh test as (I'm relaying what my girlfriend said here, phone is in her name) BT does not recognise the number the internet connection dials.

I'm at a bit of a loose end now as I've been offline for 6 days. Do you know if there is anything F9 can do to help?

Thanks
N/A

Crossed wires on the Whoosh Test!!? Ivan

Hello ianbarclay,

Yes! I think we got crossed wires here some where? The "whoosh test" has to be done by Force9 (your ISP) & so hence BT WONT!! do this test for you. I reiterate the whoosh test has to be done by F9. (even if like me your a BT phone customer, but like me if your ISP is F9 your NOT a BT ISP customer, see the difference??). I know its quite confusing true!!

Hence BT saying in typical techno babble that they dont recognise the the number or circuit number (which is very naughty of them, as this is a fobb off to be honest!! they should have just said look as your NOT a BT ISP customer we cannot do that test for you!! which is very bad of them really).

Just for clarification here:- the correct or required steps are 1) Urgently contact F9 and get a whoosh test done as soon as F9 can do this for you. 2) DEPENDING upon the outcome of the whoosh test either IT CAN BE FIXED or the problem is a BT line problem and so would have to go back to BT and if this is the case it can take quite some time as BT are NOT quick (BT ISP customers get higher priority which is yet again very annoying).

**I think you now need to stress the urgency of your case seing as you have now been without the service for atleast 6days.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Connection problem

Well, after all of that guess what the problem ended up being?

A dodgy telephone extension lead......DOH!

replaced it, and everything is working fine. I've got another question though if you don't mind me asking after my stupidity. I've been reading all over the discussion boards about free upgrades and while I could only get 512k when I first joined force9, I've found that BT were supposed to be upgrading my exchange in June of this year.

Will I be eligible for a free upgrade and is there anyway of knowing if I can go higher than 512k because I used to be on NTL 1.5mb and going back to 512 is a pain in the a***
N/A

Upgrades Ivan

Hi ianbarclay

OK, DOH!! happens to the best of us, glad it got sorted though. In answer to your further points about upgrades, BT are undertaking a major UK wide program of upgrading the data links (data pipes) between BT major exchanges (internal BT links) the knock on effect is that most BT exchanges also get there ADSL equipment upgraded. And the knock on effect of that is that most users who currently have broadband of some type will probably see their BB speeds upgraded to the fastest possible speed available on their line (for most of us at the moment this will be speeds upto 2MB but this isnt a guarenteed thing it does depend on the individual users situation).

**To qualify for the 2MB free upgrade I would definately suggest that you drop F9 support a contact us ticket and actually ask them if you qualify. To qualify might depend what product your on at the moment, I'm not sure exactly what the criteria is?

**There are other things you can do to see if you might get the 2MB service, these are as follows check your BT exchange status using the usertools website. http://users.plus.net/ or use this website to see what services your exchange has now at the moment, http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

**To get a 2MB full service will depend upon a number of factors, such as line length i.e. how far as the crow flies you are to your BT exchange. the level of line noise etc etc. But your line can be tested for line noise and you can even check line length if you know how.

**NOTE: there has been alot of moaning & complaining about how slow BT are completing the exchange related work before people get the new faster service. If your NOT in a hurry and are prepared for BT to upgrade your service for free in their own time which realistically can be weeks or months then fine. If you NOT prepared to wait for BT you can get the faster service more quickly by having a paid for upgrade which involves a one off upgrade fee? mine was just £14.99 and its the probably the best money I've spent in ages.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Connection problem

I've been reading all over the discussion boards about free upgrades and while I could only get 512k when I first joined force9, I've found that BT were supposed to be upgrading my exchange in June of this year.

Even if BT say you still can only get 312, I would question it. My line failed the regrade but I am now on 1MB after a paid regrade. BT do not physically test lines during the free regrades but only rely on historical information! Dave is chasing BT for an answer about why you can fail to receive the free regrade but can get the increase when paid for.

Mark
N/A

Humm Makes you wonder I have to say? ivan

Hello Mark,

Humm!! very interesting story indeed (NOT heard that one before) sounds quite suspicious to me? I have heard that some of the line requirements might start to be relaxed in the near future ie.line length for ADSL 2MB but have no idea when or how.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Connection problem

F9 carried out a whoosh test when I first found out my regrade had failed and the line loss came out at 62db (if I remember correctly). When I had BT out for an unrelated fault he tested the line "end to end" and the results were 59db. I know that the loss can fluctuate, but 3db is quite a leeway.

As I said earlier, there are quite a few +Net/ F9 users who failed the automatic regrade and who successfully increased their speed with a manual upgrade. We were all hoping to have the £14.99 refunded once the matter had been taken up with BT, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen Sad

Mark
N/A

BT On Free upgrades, Ivan

Hi Mark,

When I said it makes me abit suspicious of BT I cannot help thinking this is just another cash cow for BT. 1) jump the que for an upgrade Ka ching!! 2) failed the automatic regrade Ka Ching!! again. 3) (BT) if we drag the free upgrades out as long as possible all those frustrated internet punters will finally koff up Ka Ching!! just wonder if it was a deliberate plan on BT's part. Perhaps I'm just become another grumpy old cynic ?? :roll:

**Mind you BT dont do much to endear themselves to internet users as far as I can see.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator