cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Shared over network

N/A

Connection Shared over network

Hi,

We have installed the 3Com supplied ADSL router, and works fine when you allow it to dynamically assign IP addresses. Unfortunately we have to used fixed IP addresses over our network. After changing the settings on the router to an IP address in the group of ours and turning off the automatic IP assigning you can no longer enter the web (but you can access the router settings in internet explorer)?Huh
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Shared over network, Just Wondering?

> Hi,
>
> We have installed the 3Com supplied ADSL router, and works fine when you allow it to dynamically assign IP addresses. Unfortunately we have to used fixed IP addresses over our network. After changing the settings on the router to an IP address in the group of ours and turning off the automatic IP assigning you can no longer enter the web (but you can access the router settings in internet explorer)??

Hi,
As far as my knowledge goes, 1)It's totally normal to have a fixed IP address on your router (infact I've never heard of a router being assigned a dynamic IP).

2) I am wondering if you have assigned your router as the networks "Default Gateway"? You do this with a normal IP address but there is useually a field where you can set this.

3)Check the router settings that you dont need more than one IP or that it has more than one interface. i.e.an internally facing & an externally facing.

4)I am wondering if the access to the router is the problem (i.e.the settings are not being saved or retained correctly) I've normally used a NULL modem cable and made a hyper terminal or telnet session inorder to gain admins access the devices internal config settings.

Dont know if this helps.

IR

--
N/A

RE: Connection Shared over network

> Hi,
>
> We have installed the 3Com supplied ADSL router, and works fine when you allow it to dynamically assign IP addresses. Unfortunately we have to used fixed IP addresses over our network. After changing the settings on the router to an IP address in the group of ours and turning off the automatic IP assigning you can no longer enter the web (but you can access the router settings in internet explorer)??

The simplest solution (if you have a PC to spare), is to fit out a PC with two Network Cards. Connect one to the router, then the other into your existing network hub. Then either set up connection sharing on the dual NIC PC, or use a proxy such as the one available from www.analogx.com. Alternatively I'd recommend Mailgate as this is both a proxy server and Mail Server (www.mailgate.com)

I've been running this sort of set up at work for over a year now and its fine (well apart from a slight problem we had, but thats due to having to redirect mail out of our network by another router to a secondary office). You do also have the benefit with this set up that all Internet connectivity is through one machine and can therefore be monitored/more easily protected.
N/A

RE: Connection Shared over network, Just Wondering?

> Hi,
> As far as my knowledge goes, 1)It's totally normal to have a fixed IP address on your router (infact I've never heard of a router being assigned a dynamic IP).
>

The way I understnd it is that he means he is using DHCP to assign the clients IP addresses, but when he turns offthe DHCP function ofthe router and tries to manually set the IP's of the clients it doesn't work.

If This is the case all I can suggest is that you make sure that every client PC has the gateway set to the routers LAN IP address. Also you may need to manually specify the DNS servers (the ones provided by Force9, or any others you may use) for each client PC on the LAN. I do not think this is tied in to DHCP, but if it is and you turned it off then you PC's will not be able to reslove the IP addresses from the hostnames/URL's.

To test if it's the DNS servers try going to:
http://212.159.8.139 (plusnet homepage)

if this works then it's probably the DNS servers are not assigned for the clients.

If the gateway is set correctly and the DNS servers are specified correctly, then you've stumped me (not surprising with my limited knowledge).
N/A

RE: Connection Shared over network

Thanks to Ivan, Aron & Al for you help.

I will be trying them out today.