cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems: IP Conflict

N/A

Connection Problems: IP Conflict

I too have had connection problems, only in that connecting was fine, transmission was fine, but I wasn't receiving any packets over the ADSL line.

Sometimes I would, but then they would just stop coming - hence the 404 Errors when trying to access web pages.

Support did some ip trace routing and couldn't find any problem. They then said that with this problem being intermittent, they could only do proper traces if I phoned them during such an outage. Which I tried to do, but got no reply and after 24 mins, packets suddenly seemed to be coming back in the door again, so I hung up.

Since then, I've had a response saying that my static IP had been "double-booked" - meaning somebody else was getting my connection and vice-versa.

How simple is it to assign one IP per customer ? Or perhaps F9 don't have a large enough bank of IP addresses to assign, and were sort of hoping some people would know Huh
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Problems: IP Conflict

> Or perhaps F9 don't have a large enough bank of IP addresses to assign, and were sort of hoping some people would know Huh

Sorry - that was supposed to be "wouldn't know" :naughty:
N/A

RE: Connection Problems: IP Conflict TRACKING IP'S

> > Or perhaps F9 don't have a large enough bank of IP addresses to assign, and were sort of hoping some people would know Huh
>
> Sorry - that was supposed to be "wouldn't know" :naughty:

Hi,
The thing is that one of the reasons ISP's and organisations with large numbers of users use DHCP (thats dynamic host configuration protocol server)is that IP address's get assigned automatically to client machines when they connect to the network. Thus tracking IP address's is not a problem because the ISP/Company has a known bank or number of IP's that get used.

But keeping track of fixed IP's of clients on an ADSL network must present far more of a logistical problem (like how does one actually do that?)I would imagine that the ISP has to purchase a certain number of IP's to assign clients and there must always be people coming and going so how do you know how many IP's are being used at any one time,see my drift Uhh!! Not as easy as it sounds is it!! (and its very easy to blame,complain, and or criticise). I hope your IP problems do get sorted out ASAP Best Regards Ivan Ratoyevsky
--
N/A

RE: Connection Problems: IP Conflict TRACKING IP'S

> But keeping track of fixed IP's of clients on an ADSL network must present far more of a logistical problem (like how does one actually do that?)

Come off it !! They keep track of a customer and their payment details. How hard is it to keep track of an IP address which is assigned to that customers who wishes a static IP ?

You are correct in that they will have a pool. It shouldn't be too hard to pull new IPs from that pool for new customers, and then return allocated IPs to the pool for customers that leave.

We do this all the time for particular networked machines. And we use DHCP for others.

However, all this is irrelevant because my connection is working fine now so I don't really have any complaints ! F9 we're good in dealing with my problem and phoned me to talk me through it. This sort of stuff is in my domain, so I know when they're telling the truth or not !!

And I've tweaked the MTU and RWIN settings !

Regards
N/A

RE: Connection Problems: IP Conflict REPLY RE: TRACKING IP'S

> > But keeping track of fixed IP's of clients on an ADSL network must present far more of a logistical problem (like how does one actually do that?)
>
> Come off it !! They keep track of a customer and their payment details. How hard is it to keep track of an IP address which is assigned to that customers who wishes a static IP ?
>
> You are correct in that they will have a pool. It shouldn't be too hard to pull new IPs from that pool for new customers, and then return allocated IPs to the pool for customers that leave.
>
> We do this all the time for particular networked machines. And we use DHCP for others.
>
> However, all this is irrelevant because my connection is working fine now so I don't really have any complaints ! F9 we're good in dealing with my problem and phoned me to talk me through it. This sort of stuff is in my domain, so I know when they're telling the truth or not !!
>
> And I've tweaked the MTU and RWIN settings !
>
> Regards

Hi,
The point I was trying to make was that tracking fixed IP address's is actually more complex than one might imagine! Its not as easy as with a DHCP server where one can just have a scope of 300 IP's and let the server deal with those. The ISP and technical people would have to have some system,all I was saying was I dont know what system they use for fixed IP managment and I was not excusing the problem.

IR
--
N/A

RE: Connection Problems: IP Conflict REPLY RE: TRACKING IP'S

I expect they use products like this:

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/manage/metaip.html