cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting with MAC OS 10

greenscotland

Can anyone help with advice about connecting to MAC OS !0. I just can't find an option in network assistant to let me connect a USB ADSL modem.

The driver I downloaded from SAGEM has got my modem connecting, but I just can't see how to configure it to connect with the ISP. Needless to say, I've already contacted help at Freeonline, who have no idea.

Am I doomed to remain with OS 9.

Help please

Michael
4 REPLIES
slev
Grafter

Hi

Can you give a bit more information like the make and model of your modem ?

Maybe if you asked at the link below they may be able to help you more.

http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php?

Thanks

Ian
greenscotland

Hi Ian

Thanks for posting.

I'm using a Sagem 800 E2T modem, and am trying to run OS 10.3.8 though for now I'm working in 9, and the modem is fine.

I downloaded the latest driver available from the Sagem site which both got the ADSL monitor working in 10 and also got the modem to connect to the line.

What I can't do is get a dialogue option that lets me connect to the ISP server. It seems to be either an ethernet connection, or the US PPPoE protocol on offer plus some server stuff I've never heard of.

All suggestions gratefully received, and I'll check out that site you mentioned.

Kind Regards

Michael
N/A

Go Ethernet! :)

Hi,

It might be worth the £30 or so quid that you can get an ethernet ADSL modem (and probably an integrated hub/switch) for...

I already had a Belkin hub/switch/modem/wireless combi plugged in (for my PCs) and just plugged my new Mac Mini in and it worked... no configuration required.

Alex.
N/A

Hi allahhu - hope you got it sorted out?

I got broadband about 9 months ago; got OS X with a Binatone ADSL 500 modem and the whole thing was a nightmare to set up. I agree the Mac help with Free-online isn't as good as it could be, cos I pretty much had to figure it out myself.

It's a little hazy now and I know you've probably tried all this part already, but:
In System Preferences > Network, scroll down 'show' to 'Ethernet Adaptor' - in the 'TCP/IP' pane I input the provided IP addresses/DNS servers etc. In the 'PPoE' section all my login details are input (name/password etc) but it's not activated...can't recall if I tried that first or if that was automatically filled in?

Anyway with my modem I got a PDF file installed with the driver, for troubleshooting it tells me to connect to http://192.168.1.2 which actually allowed me to setup the modem connection details - it wasn't till I found this link in the PDF that I realised it was essential to setting up the modem! (Binatone's Mac help isn't great either - if they'd noted that in the setup guide, the whole thing would've been MUCH easier!)

If you have a similar link given, try it and see if it works, or ask Sagem if that's how they do it? Or, buy a Belkin hub, they're pretty easy Cheesy