cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting via mobile

N/A

Connecting via mobile

I have a laptop that I would like to connect to the internet wirelessly through my mobile. The phone is a Nokia 5140 and both have infrared ports.

Is it possible? what do I need in order to connect? Will my account work on it?

any help would be great,
mark
5 REPLIES
N/A

Connecting via mobile

The simple way is to use the phones modem, it's pretty painful speed wise but OK in an emergency.

Mattley wanders off to nokia.com for a moment

Hmm... doesn't say it's actually got a modem, but I think it's safe to assume.

Turn on IR on on your laptop, turn on IR on your phone. Point the IR bit of the phone at the IR bit of the laptop and assuming your running XP windows will detect the phone and set up a modem entry. Create a new dial up network entry using using your normal dial up details, and that modem entry and that should be that.

It's also a GPRS phone so you should be able to do a similar thing if you've got a GPRS account with your mobile network, but setting that up is between you and your network Wink

good luck, let us know how you get on.
N/A

Connecting via mobile

Hi,
when i have done it in the past i installed the nokia PC suite which has nokia phone modem drivers on it, it didnt seem to work on my PC (running XP) before i did that.

If you get free wap mins you may be able to set it up to connect using those as I did on O2, but you have to go through their proxy server it seemed.

As mattley said, its ok for emergencies Smiley

Dan
N/A

Connecting via mobile

Would have to be a REAL emergency especially if you use GPRS - its something like £1.50 per MB (yes thats Megabyte). So e-mail is okay but web browsing is out of the question is all those flash popup adverts would cost you a fortune.
N/A

Connecting via mobile

True, but even if money was not an issue there still isn't a decent solution out there.

I guess putting a satellite uplink and a WiFi router into your car would be OK if you weren't in too big an office building Wink
N/A

Connecting via mobile

This is exactly why WiFi access points are so popular.
You usually have to pay a fee, its about as much as an ADSL account and usable in many different locations though obviously nowhere close to as widely available as a mobile network.