cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting......but not connecting

N/A

I am having a real problem connecting thru f9 to the net, the adsl modem connects fine, tells me its connected @576kbps, but when i try to open the browers (ie6 + mozilla) the page cannot be displayed message comes .

The error message 678 comes up also, i now know this means
'there is no answer' but am unsure as to how to rectify this fault.....its driving me insane, i have been intouch with f9 helpdesk to no avail...
Any help would be most welcome.....
Cheers Gary
9 REPLIES
N/A

Can any of your other programs access the web, i.e. mail? are you using a proxy sever? it's not being blocked by your firewall settings?

Aaron
N/A

I was getting that right up until friday when BT can and fixed my line

Voicecalls were ok - ADSL was dropping every 5minutes when raining - but when ok it was connecting but not able to browse as though it couldn't resolve dns.

It would then come on for a bit that happen again - i thought it was down to F9 as heard others users had similar problems - but nothing was reported by F9.

The only problem I've had since engineer been is that my router (SAR130) locked up for some apparent reason when viewing its configuration.
N/A

Do lose sync on your modem, when trying to connect? any problems when using the phone?

I'm just trying to isolate, whether this is a PC configuration problem or a ADSL line issue. Are all your filters connected correct ?

Aaron
N/A

I used to lose sync on my router and modem

As for browsing earlier today I had a similar problem where it was trying to resolve names - I set a ping going to portal.force9.net and noticed that I got a request timed out for about 20 seconds.

Also when leaving F9 to other sites the ping went upto over 300ms for the reply which would say to be that the problem lies with F9, if happens again I will try further tests etc
N/A

Woodviews, that does sound typical of a line fault, but in your case this has been fixed by a BT engineer.

Without more information from Gary, I can't really provide any more advice, since a web page failing is not enough information to locate where the problem lies.

Aaron
N/A

Are you on a self-install package

Also lines deteriorate over time - you might have been perfect before for ADSL but the line noise may have increased thus causing problems.

Have you tried swapping filters?
Swapped line cable?
Are you using an extension point?
Have you tried directly plugging into the master socket (will need old style modem cable)?
If you have do you get the same problem?
Have you checked with BT to ensure no fault on PSTN line?
Does the same problem occur if use another modem/router?

Now what I can't understand is why you're getting an error 678 (no answer) - I'm sure u should only get this when dialling using PSTN modem to modem. As ADSL modems/routers don't dial like normal modems.

If anything u should be getting operation timed out if unable to view pages

What type of modem are you using? As it sounds like more of a configuration fault that a line fault.
N/A

woodviews, lines don't generally deteriorate that quickly, or else the line has been damaged in someway.

Maybe there is a dialer on the machine, trying to dial out.

I think it best to wait till Gary has had a chance to catch up with the topic and reply, we could go around in circles trying to guess, but we don't have enough information to go on.

Aaron
N/A

Thanks for all the reply's guys, the modem is an external usb..(brand new) the previous modem was an internal adsl, working fine until the f9 helpdesk suggested unistalling and re-installing the modem......when i came to re-install i couldnt find the driver disc....doh

Have changed both the cable and the microfilter to no avail......The phone line is fine no problem at all......Firewall is off, have tried both on and off but niether works

Think it may be something to do with dns as the event viewer was reporting that the dns was unresolved....not sure what it means exactly

Cheers Gary
N/A

DNS services provide a translation service between the address you type in and that actual IP address of the site in question. This query happens every time you type in a url into your browser.

Unless you've changed the network settings to specify DNS servers, windows is configured to search for them itself.

Besides I think this is more a symptom of the problem your having.

Have you checked your machine for spyware? trojans?

Aaron