cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused over the monthly cost of ADSL - help!

N/A

Confused over the monthly cost of ADSL - help!

Hi all,

Someone has asked me about ADSL and I thought I should find out more about it particularly as I am intending to move over to ADSL in the next 3-4 months.

I had a look at the BT site and they charge a line rental fee of around £27 per month. No ISP is required as they provide basic internet access, just no e-mails facilties.

Now Force9/PlusNet charge £21 per month. Does this mean that BT still charge an extra £27 a month on top of the standard PSTN line rental or a smaller amount if you use an ISP?

Can anybody tell me how this works?

Thanks,

Ian
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: DONT BE Confused !! REPLY

> Hi all,
>
> Someone has asked me about ADSL and I thought I should find out more about it particularly as I am intending to move over to ADSL in the next 3-4 months.
>
> I had a look at the BT site and they charge a line rental fee of around £27 per month. No ISP is required as they provide basic internet access, just no e-mails facilties.
>
> Now Force9/PlusNet charge £21 per month. Does this mean that BT still charge an extra £27 a month on top of the standard PSTN line rental or a smaller amount if you use an ISP?
>
> Can anybody tell me how this works?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
Hi Ian,
I changed both my phone provider from NTL to BT and F9 Account from a Basic bronze dialup to ADSL self instal last summer so have been through this maze.

OK! here's what it takes, firstly you need the BT phone line, next once you have the BT line you need to sort out your BT account & Tariff type (such as BTTogether etc)

Yes! you pay for line rental on a monthly basis (its inc in your monthly package),plus any voice calls you make in the normal way. Oh! before I forget you must ask BT if you phone line & local phone exchange are broadband enabled (because alot of phone exchanges are still not able to deal with ADSL yet!).

Next assuming your exchange is ADSL enabled you have to have BT test & activate your phoneline for ADSL (for this you pay a once off fee of between £57 to £60). Only after your phoneline is activated can you install/connect your ADSL equipment (such as an ADSL Router or ADSL modem).

Finally, you must have an ADSL account with F9 for which you also pay a monthly fee (but that does inc the almost always on service,plus other F9 features,email,webspace,portal,etc). Yes but you dont pay phone charges for the ADSL connection,nor do you have the hassle & delays of dialing up, oh! and its far faster than any other modem you've probably used before. Hope that helps.
Ivan

--
N/A

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Someone has asked me about ADSL and I thought I should find out more about it particularly as I am intending to move over to ADSL in the next 3-4 months.
> >
> > I had a look at the BT site and they charge a line rental fee of around £27 per month. No ISP is required as they provide basic internet access, just no e-mails facilties.
> >
> > Now Force9/PlusNet charge £21 per month. Does this mean that BT still charge an extra £27 a month on top of the standard PSTN line rental or a smaller amount if you use an ISP?
> >
> > Can anybody tell me how this works?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ian
> Hi Ian,
> I changed both my phone provider from NTL to BT and F9 Account from a Basic bronze dialup to ADSL self instal last summer so have been through this maze.
>
> OK! here's what it takes, firstly you need the BT phone line, next once you have the BT line you need to sort out your BT account & Tariff type (such as BTTogether etc)
>
> Yes! you pay for line rental on a monthly basis (its inc in your monthly package),plus any voice calls you make in the normal way. Oh! before I forget you must ask BT if you phone line & local phone exchange are broadband enabled (because alot of phone exchanges are still not able to deal with ADSL yet!).
>
> Next assuming your exchange is ADSL enabled you have to have BT test & activate your phoneline for ADSL (for this you pay a once off fee of between £57 to £60). Only after your phoneline is activated can you install/connect your ADSL equipment (such as an ADSL Router or ADSL modem).
>
> Finally, you must have an ADSL account with F9 for which you also pay a monthly fee (but that does inc the almost always on service,plus other F9 features,email,webspace,portal,etc). Yes but you dont pay phone charges for the ADSL connection,nor do you have the hassle & delays of dialing up, oh! and its far faster than any other modem you've probably used before. Hope that helps.
> Ivan
>
>
>
> --
>

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the reply but not quite the information I was after! Sorry if the original post wasn't clear. :-)

I understand all about what ADSL is and the process of getting it and setting it up, it's just the cost of it that I don't. (BT have never really been good at listing prices of their services clearly and, unless I missed it somewhere, I couldn't find this information on the portal).

The standard line rental for a BT PSTN phone line on BT together is around £10 a month - this is what I currently pay using the BT Together package. According to the BT website they charge an extra line rental fee for ADSL enabled lines because it is an extra service. So I assume this means an extra charge on top of the standard line rental for a PSTN line. It is this charge that I want to know about. BT provide a service with a line rental of £27 a month that includes internet access but no other facilties such as email. I assume if you use an ISP instead of BT for the Internet access that the line rental is less than this - I hope so anyway!?

Put simply, I would have to pay Force9/Plusnet the £20 odd pound every month for the ADSL account. What would I have to pay BT as far as line rental goes? I realise that any voice calls would be charge separately!

Thanks again for the help.

Ian
N/A

No if you go with F9 for ADSL, you'd only pay the line rental on the BT line that you would with a standard phone line.

When BT say you pay an extra line rental for upgrading to ADSL thats only if you get ADSL off them. However getting ADSL off BT is completely different to getting ADSL off BTOpenworld, who would again charge you a separate monthly fee and not increase your line rental. Basically BT have really confused the matter by providing this second ADSL offering through their telco arm, and it's also got a lot of other ISPs annoyed.

Basically if you go with ADSL with F9 and cancel your previous internet access with BT your line rental should go down to what it is for just a standard phone line. You then pay F9 a monthly fee for your ADSL.
N/A

> No if you go with F9 for ADSL, you'd only pay the line rental on the BT line that you would with a standard phone line.
>
> When BT say you pay an extra line rental for upgrading to ADSL thats only if you get ADSL off them. However getting ADSL off BT is completely different to getting ADSL off BTOpenworld, who would again charge you a separate monthly fee and not increase your line rental. Basically BT have really confused the matter by providing this second ADSL offering through their telco arm, and it's also got a lot of other ISPs annoyed.
>
> Basically if you go with ADSL with F9 and cancel your previous internet access with BT your line rental should go down to what it is for just a standard phone line. You then pay F9 a monthly fee for your ADSL.

Thanks for that, exactly what I was after! BT certainly have confused the matter! I was under the impression that BT charged extra for ADSL enabled lines regardless of whether you got it through an ISP or not! I therefore thought that it was going to be very expense on a monthly basis! :-(

I currently have a Connect Standard account with F9 so I will upgrade to an ADSL account in 3-4 months I think as it sounds as if the service is a good one once up and running.

Thanks for your help.

Ian.
N/A

Glad to be of assistance.
digitl
Grafter

Ivan

Could you please avoid adding 'REPLY' and 'FURTHER REPLY' to the subject line of your replies to postings please.

I think you'll find that replies have 'RE: ' automatically added to the start of the subject line and that your contribution is superfluous.

Personally, I have found the additions to be distracting as well as making it more difficult to check subject lines.

Thanks.