cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheaper, but is it really better??

N/A

Cheaper, but is it really better??

On reading through almost all the topics in this forum, I thought of something which maybe could be discussed. Almost all the line problems, are with self-install. I know it is A LOT cheaper than getting BT out, but when there's all these problems, if you have a bit extra, maybe it's worth it. I may be getting the wrong idea, but thats the impression i've got from reading all the posts. Self-install is still relatively new and I don't think BT has all the problems ironed out, as I have talked to friends who have self-install ADSL with other providers, and have seen similar problems. I'd like to see what you all think, and it might get BT to sort out there problems if I'm correct.
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Cheaper, but is it really better??

Self install is dead easy as long as you buy decent kit. Of course, you don't hear about the success stories in a tech support forum <g>.

N/A

> Self install is dead easy as long as you buy decent kit. Of course, you don't hear about the success stories in a tech support forum <g>.
>
>
Self Install appears (I say appears because BT haven't confirmed whether my line can or cannot handle ADSL, let alone activated it for 2 weeks now) to be a piece of cake, buy decent kit, install the drivers that come with it (if you need to), plug it in, turn it on and connect. Gives you flexibility to pick what you want and how you want to use it. That's why I went for Self Install, cost mainly and the flexibility. It's too true that you don't hear about success stories on tech support forums... only hear about problems. So for all the people having problems, there's most likely an equal number, if not more, having no problems whatsoever. If the idea of self install is daunting and you have the cash, go for the BT Engineer deal. You lose flexibility but it's easier for some than installing it themselves. That's just my view though, feel free to shoot it down, burn it and generally burn it at the stake. Smiley

Waiting... waiting and waiting... for BT to test my line, find it okay and then I can go ADSL modem shopping. One thing though, my current modem has to use an extension cable to get to my phone socket, I assume I can use the same cable with the ADSL modem as well? (It's a BT socket to a BT socket)
N/A

I fully appreciate that you dont hear the success stories, all im saying is that all the problems seem to be reported by people who have self-install and not engineer-install, but i may be wrong
N/A

The vast majority of problems with ADSL occur with the installation and setup. I'd say that the fundamental reason for the lack of problem reports in the case of the engineer-installed product is that, by definition, if there is a problem of this sort, it's not a "user problem" - it's the engineer's problem, and the engineer doesn't report his problems on the newsgroups or on the Force9 forum. The engineer turns up at the house, he does the installation and leaves when it's working (or is held hostage and subjected to torture until it is).
There are also other differences: the engineer installed product provides the ADSL and traditional phone connections built-in to a new master socket, so you don't have to bother with microfilters, but I believe there are also some requirements about how how close your PC is to the master socket (because the price is for a lead no longer than a certain length - I think the master socket is the only one which has ADSL capability), and on having sufficient mains power nearby. Also, bear in mind how much this costs: ~£246 for installation and a modem, compared to ~£58 (plus whatever it costs for your equipment). So you can save ~£100 with self-install: which means as long as you've got it working within four months(!!) of the activation, you'll save money.
N/A

About 90% of all installs are self-installs. This means it is more likely to hear of a self-install problem than a BT install.

Also, most of the self install problems are users having problems configuring their equipment. Against an actual physical problem with the line.

ADSL self-0install is a very good option. Setup is not that difficult if you follow our router setup guides. Again the guides may not cover your own router/modem, but most routers and modems have the same settings.

Kind Regards

Kevin
--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> About 90% of all installs are self-installs. This means it is more likely to hear of a self-install problem than a BT install.
>
> Also, most of the self install problems are users having problems configuring their equipment. Against an actual physical problem with the line.
>
> ADSL self-0install is a very good option. Setup is not that difficult if you follow our router setup guides. Again the guides may not cover your own router/modem, but most routers and modems have the same settings.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

Just a quick question, whom do I contact in regards to chasing up my ADSL activation or testing phase? I've been waiting for 2 weeks and not a peep, is it because BT are short of Engineers or something?
N/A

The only problem I have had with self install is that Force 9 forgot to activate my account. Other than that F9 have bean great.
Far better than bt-click which we have at work.

N/A

> The only problem I have had with self install is that Force 9 forgot to activate my account. Other than that F9 have bean great.
> Far better than bt-click which we have at work.
>
>
SELF Install, was easy easy easy, the only problem I had was with BT itself, who had a fault at their exhange. Not the fault of the ADSL Self Install. So far it is brilliant
N/A

> > The only problem I have had with self install is that Force 9 forgot to activate my account. Other than that F9 have bean great.
> > Far better than bt-click which we have at work.
> >
> >
> SELF Install, was easy easy easy, the only problem I had was with BT itself, who had a fault at their exhange. Not the fault of the ADSL Self Install. So far it is brilliant
>

Although this is sorta on the same subject line, I'm hoping one of the customer support people may be able to answer this query. Hypothetically speaking if I was on a 512KB Home ADSL link, is it possible to upgrade to a 1M/2M link, or would that then need to become a business connection and require an ADSL router?
N/A

BT do not have a wholesale product for 1meg / 2meg residential users. As such we can not offer this as a residential product.

If you do decide to go to a business 1`meg /2meg product you will find that your ADSL device will support it. Most ADSL devices are rated at above 2 meg connections.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----