cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charity Help

N/A

Charity Help

I am a volunteer with my Local first response team, and because its in wales, they are not government funded, so we have to rely on donations..

I was asked last night if I could set up a site for the local team,

1, I dont know how to set a site up, just a simple 1 page thing to start with

2, Would plusnet, DONATE the webspace, who do i contact,

Any help in either of these would be appreciated,
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Charity Help

2, Would plusnet, DONATE the webspace, who do i contact,

You could host it on your webspace, otherwise you could host it on a free account with a suitable username for thier cause.

Chris
N/A

Charity Help

but would the 250mb be enough tho, were hoping to create a lot of interest through it, i was just concerned that it might hit the 250mb fast and then go down

EDIT

Okay, I THINK!!!! I have registered the domain name correctly

www.angleseyfirstresponse.co.uk I know thats gonna cost a quid a month, not too worried about that, so what do I need now, is my 250mb enough for now to build a single page site with a few pics n stuff on it, and is there a traffic limit for that?
Community Veteran

Charity Help

I suggest you contact plus.net user 'bluebellhouse' he is allready running a website for his local first response team.

http://www.bluebellhouse.plus.com/CR01/index.htm
http://cgi.bluebellhouse.plus.com/Forum/

Chilly
N/A

Charity Help

cheers for that, will have a word, the domain seems to be working anyway
N/A

Charity Help

another quick question, well two, firstly, what sort of affect will traffic on the site have on my account, is there a limit to bandwidth?

secondly, preferably without spending money, whats the best way of getting the search engine spiders to find my site, who to register with etc, thanks for the help
Community Veteran

Charity Help

There is a limit on your site in that you are allowed 250mB of traffic per day.
This is acually quite a lot and I have never got near this with my site which is well visited.
N/A

Charity Help

ok thanks for the reply john, appreciated
N/A

Charity Help

whats the best way of getting the search engine spiders to find my site, who to register with etc,

There are a few differing opinions as to which is the most reliable way to get listed. Obviously going for Google would be a good step. Search their site and you will find buried in the depths a place to submit your site to them.

The other thing I would suggest is to add Meta content on your site with as many names on it that describe what your site is, who it's for and what it's about. Then there is also a robot file that you can upload that gives directions to the web bots about which pages to crawl through. If you are planning on using a phpBB then you will find a lot of information about getting a high listing and a few Mods that will help you achieve this. See here for more details.

There is much more you can do and I'm sure others will be able to point you in that direction.

Good luck
N/A

Charity Help

done the google one, thanks for that, taking a look at the others now, thanks for the reply