cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the name of my website

N/A

Hi

I have uploaded my web pages, and they all open and display fine; however the web address is

www.myname.free-online.co.uk. I want it to display as
www.another.free-online.co.uk.

How do I do itHuhHuh?

Puzzled :roll:
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi

My method is to open a free (pay-as-you-go) FOL account under the name you want to use, and upload to that. I had an account like this, before moving to FOL for my broadband connection (in fact the quality of the service I recieved was partly what convinced me to move across) Smiley

So my account user name is hulls, but the web site I operate for my Salvation Army choir is www.ccsongsters.free-online.co.uk

John
dbarrett
Grafter

Or get a domain name.....

My website is at http://www.dbarrett.free-online.co.uk/ however http://www.radarpages.co.uk looks better.

You can host multiple sites in one area of webspace and have multiple domains pointing into the space. For example my wife's page is at http://www.dbarrett.free-online.co.uk/sgb/ but I have the domain name http://www.simply-balanced.co.uk pointed at it.
N/A

Re: Changing the name of my website

Hi

I have uploaded my web pages, and they all open and display fine; however the web address is

www.myname.free-online.co.uk. I want it to display as
www.another.free-online.co.uk.

How do I do itHuhHuh?

Puzzled :roll:

John

I have setup a "pay as you go" account, but it relies on Dialup, and since moving to Broadband, I can no longer Dialup. I have 3 machines with Modems, and I get "No dial tone", if I plug in the Modem lead to the Telephone socket. I even unscrewed the splitter, and tried, and same error.

Do you still use Dialup to FTP your files? I have tried this morning, and no connection.

dbarrett

I have a domain name, but it is registered with UK2.NET. I don't particularly want to move it to Free-online, as this will cause problems in the future, should I hand the job on to someone else.

Free-online, have advised that the only way that I can change the Website address is to transfer in the domain.

I don't want to do this as this is my personal account, and I have my own domain name which I may want to use in the future.

I can't find any info on how to have multiple sites.

Currently UK2.NET have emailed to say that I should not have to move the domain, but they have been unable to contact me by phone. UK2.NET do not publish a telephone number, so I cannot call them. I have responded with daytime numbers, but I am still waiting.

HELP!!!!!

Evil
Community Veteran

Hi

I ftp to the site using my broadband connection, in the usual way, and haven't had any problems yet. I log on to the ftp server using my ccsongster user name and password. Actually I ftp using Frontpage, but don't see why other ftp software would be different.

As long as you're signed in to a FOL server, I think there shouldn't be a problem. Log on to the ftp server at homepages.net/htdocs. I'd be interested to know how you get on. Smiley

John
Community Veteran

Yep. I've just changed the site slightly and uploaded the changes, from my broadband connection - no problem. Tell the ftp server the user name and password of your free FOL account, and Robert is your mother's brother Cheesy

John
N/A

Hulls,

I didn't think Pay as You Go accounts got webspace, your not pointing the domain name to your main webspace are you? If they do get webspace, I can't imagine it would be as much your main account either.
Community Veteran

Like I said, I'd had the free FOL pay as you go account for quite a while before coming to FOL for my broadband access. The web space isn't huge, but I've got over 20 pages of site on there without any problems. I wanted the site to be "ccsongsters" (Chelmsford Citadel Songsters), and although I could pay for the .co.uk domain name to look better, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've been very happy with the service from FOL, and that's what helped make up my mind about my broadband provider. I'm still pretty happy with the service and have recommended the company to a number of friends and colleagues. (crawl time over) :lol:

I suppose at some point in the future, I'll get the domain name sorted out, and move the site to my broadband web space, but in the spirit of, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", I'm inclined to leave it where it is at present.

John