cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Static IP Addrress

N/A

Is it possible for me to request a change of static IP address?

I can't find any info on the site.

Cheers

HBJB
14 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We don't normally change IP addresses if you just want to get a new one. Subject to justification we can add a block of 4 or 8 IP addresses to broadband accounts if that is what you require.
N/A

When I took out my account - I had intended to set up a dedicated mail and web server, and was told I got 2 IP addresses as standard, and could request up to 8 without extra charge. (Which I dont need.)
However, I was also told that I could change IP now and then if needed (when I was asking if I could have 1 or 2 static addresses)

Now I am told I have to provide proof and logs etc before I can get a new IP - sadly all I can see is my firewall logging DoS attacks - and before I can record the log - it reboots

Can someone put me straight on the situation - as of when I took out the account?
Thanks

Vic (FOL@bigvic.co.uk)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi Vic,

By default our accounts come with a single static IP address.
You can request a block of 4, 8, or 16 (which gives you 2, 6, or 14 usable IP's). You'd just need to justify why you need these IP's, why what you wanted to do couldn't be done via NAT and possibly complete a RIPE form.

If you just want to change the IP to a different one then again we would need to know why. If you are receiving a DoS attack then the we do need the firewall logs showing this, for one reason if that IP address is unusable we don't want to allocate it to another customer only to see them getting DoS'd instead.
N/A

Thanks for the info Dave.

OK, well to continue this - maybe a bit OT .......Wink

I have currently got installed a Belkin 802.11g Modem/Router. It doesnt have any syslog type features - and its way to protect against DoS attacks appears to be to reboot - lol. And its on the latest code too.
So - I have seen in the logs streams of UDP Syn/Flood attacks - but before I can save the web page, or use the save log feature - it is already in the middle of rebooting. (And it was from multiple sources, so I couldnt quote the IP cos it was prolly a DDoS attack sourced by users with Trojans at a guess).
I have only caught it in progress on one occassion (for several attacks) - but I suspect it has been happening for some time ....... Although less so since I disabled unsolicited ICMP responses.

And the reason why I want prerably 3 IPs is for running 1 linux box on a complete DMZ (for web and other stuff I am learning), and one Win2K server with IIS (for same reasons) and trying to get them to link to each other via a remote site. And I would prefer to keep the family stuff on a seperate IP with NAT and the SPI firewall in the router.
I had also wanted to play with a dedicated hlds server on the linux box - for 1on 1 matches (to brush up on my unix configs and stats management) - and that doesnt tend to run well via NAT - too much UDP, and with any degree of PLoss - it can tend to flood a lot of "home" routers.

As for re-using the IP - I dont know if it was just me that upset someone - or if I got unlucky, but I think if an IP is unused for a month, then it generally gets left alone.

Do you feel that my case is justified?
On either count?

As a matter of interest, for those people on dynamic addresses with other ISPs, they take the same risk everythime they release/renew, that they may get a bad IP address. And same for dial pool users. It was just my impression that static IP was "optional" with your DSL.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't see any reason why you can't a block of 4, although you'll need a block of 8 if you want 3 usable.
Best thing to do is raise a ticket and put all your reasons and complete the RIPE form (there's a link to download one in the contact us wizard).

I don't know if this will work, but if you view the logs in a web page, hit the Print Screen key on the keyboard and just paste the screen shot into paint.

It's true that a dial-up user could potentially get a "bad IP" but they can just disconnect and reconnect to get another one, if we allocate a bad IP to a DSL customer they can't just do the same. Which is why if someone is being DoS'd we need to know, yes, chances are the DoS will stop within a month but we don't that IP reused in that month.
N/A

It's apparently a common problem for that router to report Symflood attacks spuriously. You may be well advised just to disable the router's firewall, since it's very likely the only DoS'ing that's occurring is the router DoS'ing itself.
N/A

Yeah? Well, I used to work with some bigger SPI firewall that used to take "any" UDP stream as a flood attack - e.g. scanning for servers in GameSpy, which was a royal pain until you figured it out. But they never just rebooted. That usually only happens in the router is dumb enough to cache the packets while the firewall is ignoring them.

Do you have any links re: the belkin DSL routers, I have struggled to find any forums or other places of info about it. Obviously Belkin are the last ones to take an interest since they never released updated code Wink

And yeah - I hope to be able to route via a Linux box with a little firewall / gateway / mail setup, when I get time, just as an alternative.

Thanks.

p.s. Dave - Do you have a link for the IP subnet request form - I cant find it.
N/A

Yeah, Belkin support is less than fantastic.
One thread where this error was mentioned was here on OcUK, and same again on OcUK.

Appears that whatever it does produces extreme CPU/memory usage, and it kills itself, which is a nice form of DoS protection Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

p.s. Dave - Do you have a link for the IP subnet request form - I cant find it.

If you go through Contact Us, follow this path

New Query -> Technical Support (Except Connection Problems - See below) -> Static IPs, IP Block Requests and Reverse DNS Setup -> Request an IP Block

There's a link to the Usertools site with a RIPE form generator and an example form.
N/A

OK sswindells - many thanks for that!
OK - it looks like the Belkin is basically a pretty looking POS with no support and no updates - just like the Zoom X3 I had for a year without one bug fix I raised.

Can anyone recomend a SO/Home DSL modem/router with a decent SPI firewall etc. I really dont care if it is wireless or not. I cant afford a big firewall, and the Allied Telesyn gear I have if fantastic - but doesnt have the memory to handle masses of connections / UDP streams.

All feedback greatly appreciated Wink

Vic
N/A

Dave - Thanks for the info - I have foudn the forms now Cheesy

Do I still need to complete the RIpe form for a 4 IP block?
Or should I just do it anyway?

And does that mean that I am liable for running INet DNS for the whole allocated block?

Ta,
Vic
N/A

OK sswindells - many thanks for that!
OK - it looks like the Belkin is basically a pretty looking POS with no support and no updates - just like the Zoom X3 I had for a year without one bug fix I raised.

The X3 did a fine job for the 24 hours I had it, though I never actually used it - it only proved that it wasn't my router that was screwed :lol: - on that note Dave, do you, and for how long, keep records of any repairs that BT Wholesale have done on lines?

Can anyone recomend a SO/Home DSL modem/router with a decent SPI firewall etc. I really dont care if it is wireless or not. I cant afford a big firewall, and the Allied Telesyn gear I have if fantastic - but doesnt have the memory to handle masses of connections / UDP streams.

The Netgear DG834 (stick a G on the end if you want wireless) has an SPI firewall, can't comment on it's effectiveness, but there's plenty of folks rant about them being good, and the review on ADSLGuide was reasonable. It certainly seems to be improving with each new firmware release.

Edit: Kernel panic: Cannot find brain Wink
N/A

Well - the fact that they actually HAVE firmware releases - well, thats a step up from Belkin and Zoom Wink
N/A

True, though Linksys now appears to be going the same way for firmware updates since their acquisition by Cisco.
Though, the last time I tried to update the firmware on my Belkin WAP, it killed it and I had to RMA it. Twice.
So maybe it's better they don't release firmware? :lol: