cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cctv camera in private house

N/A

Cctv camera in private house

Can see you might be worried if the gentleman is warped. Maybe he just likes watching kids play

CYNBOB

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Please refrain from posting in full CAPS. It is bad netique and considered shouting]
[Moderators not (by Thomas): Furthermore, don't post titles in all CAPS!]
36 REPLIES
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

Anyone know the law on CCTV? We are having problems with an old man localy who has put up a CCTV camera in his window. His window is directly oposite a childrens play area and the camera point to this area were often under 5 year old play.

His house has only a veru low wall so anything going on is visable to his camera.

A camera covering your own property is one thing but can people just film a public area? He cant argue its to protect his property as its angled wrong.

I am trying to get something done about it after loads of complaints but no one seems interested.
Community Veteran

CCTV spying on kids

FWIW, I believe the law states that any 'public' use of CCTV should be accompanied by a notice saying that CCTV is in action in the area.

The town I live in has CCTV monitoring, and the town centre is plastered with signs saying so.

The first thing to do would be consult the local police, and/or a solicitor. There may be something that you can do to prevent the use of the CCTV in that particular area.

Barry
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

AFIAK, there is very little you can do, depending on the circumstances.

If the camera is only able to view the play area, then you likely have some form of valid case, but for what I don't know.

You would be needing to proove that the camera is not monitoring the gentalmans premesis.

If it is doing nothing more than monitoring the wall, and the view over it, then it could likely be classed, as not monitoring his premesis.

Otherwise, it could be classed as monitoring his own premesis.

Needless to say, there is nothing the police can do, unless there is an obvious crime taking place. They could help you with understanding what laws could affect it, should you witness them.

Contacting your solicitor and the local council are the more obvious choices though. Though I would only seek advice, otherwise you are looking for trouble that isn't worth the hastle,
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

Tee Hee,

I'm having a soapbox day.

I doubt the police will know the law - certainly not something as complicated as this. Solicitors are the lowest of the low (I risk execution) in the legal profession, and way over-priced, in my view. Have you tried looking on the Internet? Virtually all the Laws, Acts, etc. are available if you want to decifer them. For some things there's some pretty good "man in the street" explanations, too.

A point from earlier... is he maybe a lonely old man who misses Grand Children or something? If it were old woman with the camera, would you be so bothered?
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

mright
If any body was to film or monitor mine or any local kids playing I would most certainly be bothered. I find it laughable and most unlikely that he might innocently like to watch kids play or misses grand children as some replies have suggested, as for would you be concerned if it was an old woman doing the filming, well it isn't an old woman, it's a bloke and by the sounds of it, a nonce.
Like most people when I was a kid I was aware of the local perv hanging around the parks and playgrounds. This one appears to be more hi-tech in his approach. The risks to children are too high to take chances and if he his innocent, too bad, because he would have to be pretty stupid not to realise his actions would cause concern.
I wish you the best of luck in your quest, the world is full of politically correct people (self important council departments especially, with their armies of "understanding social crime development project outreach social workers"Huh) who will be against you.
My local paper is always full of vacant council jobs that carry ludicrous titles like the above.
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

Still on soapbox and joined by others... Tee Hee....

May I point out that NONE of us seem to KNOW the FACTS?

The gentleman asked if anyone knew the LAW. I don't, but I bet a whole bunch of five-year-olds could quote you "Innocent until proven guilty"

Many five year olds would rightly protest being wrongly accused of anything, like knocking over a cup or stealing a sweet.

There's a very sinister and SERIOUS tone to this. Should an old man be convicted by a Kangaroo Court? The LAW says no.

One example:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2293405.stm

There are probably others. That was a quick Internet search which took seconds. I'm not obsessed with this topic, or councils or a million other injustices in the world. Just happened to read something on a forum when I was on "Soapbox Day"

Are we maybe straying from the normal forum topics?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

CCTV spying on kids

First stop...try the Citizens Advice Bureau.

In the meantime a very old friend is a JP I'll see if he's experienced anything like it on his bench (if he'll tell me)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

The question was about the Law. May I venture an opinion and view of the Law by an amature?

If there is any evidence of a crime this should be reported to the Police and they will follow it up. That is their function - law enforcement. At least they will visit the said Gentleman in is home. This alone may be enough to satisfy the "nosey neighbours" - at very least it will serve as a warning and be the start of any case records. Don't expect the Poilce to carry a magic wand, however. Mr. Plod is not always a genius and is himself handcuffed by the Law.

The Law is not there to bend others to our own will. It is a blunt tool that (reasonably) moves painfully slowly. FAR more can be achieved by talking to someone or by other LEGAL methods.

All it says above is that there have been complaints. How was this approached? I venture that hammering on someone's door, with unreasonable demands about their own windows, and an undertone of vile accusation, of perhaps THE WORST criminal nature, is NOT the best way to achieve co-operation?

I have had 15 years in business. 100's of customers. NO bad debts and never taken anyone to Court. A proud boast.

One reason that I am on my soapbox now is that on Tuesday I concluded my first ever legal battle. A Civil case, not a Criminal one, in which there could not possibly be ANY clear winners or losers. I had suggested mediation. With much Internet research on the Law I gave good account of myself against a Solicitor and a QC hired by my ex-wife. Financially the children and I are SLIGHTLY better off. I have lost 1000's of hours of that most precious of all gifts - TIME. There is a bill in there for over £7,000.

Do not expect the Law to be Fair or Just. It is an Ass. It is the best we have, and British Law is model adopted through much of the world.

Now, may I please climb down from this "box"? My legs are beginning to ache and I'm in need of a beer or a cup of tea.
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

Sigh! here we go again

A quiz..... what have Matthew Hopkins 1644-5,Samuel Parris 1689 and Senator Joseph McCarthy 1950-1954 have in common.

They all had the ability to whip people into frenzy over situations mostly imagined in their own minds,and hard evidence was something that did not feature in any of their plans.Now instead of witches and communistists the witchfinders have found something new to jump onto.To the extent that if I find a child that is lost,and stop to help them find the way home,or ease the distress I would in all probability end up being bundled into a police car before I had finished giving directions thanks to the so called "do gooders".The same "do gooders" that when children dissappear or end up murdered ask why did no one help them or find out what was going on,therein lies the answer.Who is going to risk being labeled a pedophile simply because they tried to help a child,knowing full well that even though there is no real evidence,the papers are going to give them a fair trial and then hang them.

I take it that the original poster,has been inside the house and seen the actual field of view that the camera sees,or even found found out if it is real,and not on of the artificial ones that you can buy to deter people that have less than the best intentions.From what I have seen of CCTV cameras,unless it is a serious bit of kit,and it is actuall connected to something he may be able to see litle tiny dots moving over little tiny climbing frames,and why could he not if he was so inclined just buy a 35mm camera and a 400mm lens which would do the job a lot better,and be less expensive because you usual CCTV camera that an old man would buy (unless it takes up most of the window) would be outdone by an average non-digital video camera connected directly to the tv in terms of resoulution,and zoom ability.

One more thought,if the intentions are indeed wrong...... why is the camera in such an obvious location for all to see?

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

I LOVE it. Thank you.
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

PS. I was once in a pub when the Carity Bigade came round collecting - not the Sally Am, for once. They were selling lollipops. I am not fond of sweets. The volunteer worker suggested that I give it to a child...... I donated £1 and a lollipop BACK to the cause, whatever it was. The beer was good, however.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

CCTV spying on kids

My old JP friend, and local authority housing manager writes:

"I come across this all the time on the estates i manage, there is not necesarily direct law breaking, BUT the elderly resident cannot take indiscriminate video of his neighbours children, there are privacy and human rights issues here, from the Police point of view he may be committing an offence of ' Harassment, Alarm & Distress' and the other extreme is that he may be a pervert!!

MY suggestion is that the Police need to be advised, if he rents his accommodation his landlord ought to be told, or at the other extreme a solicitors letter of threat of legal action might be appropriate"

Hope this helps
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

Oh, let me DOWN,

Possibly sound advice.

My experience is that the very Courts we turn to for Justice and Fairness are the strongest advocates of those money grubbing, sponging, tax collectors and money lenders, those non-wealth-creators who cream a substantial percentage exploiting other people's misery. Lovely people, some solicitors.

Try defending yourself for 17 months in Court - a tradition and a legal right of the individial. See how MANY Judges will criticise you for refusing to delegate a responsible task to a possibly despicable, and CLEARLY self-serving character.... even at risk of contradicting earlier decisions by one of his own collegues. Too damn lazy to walk up one flight of stairs and read a leflet from the racks in reception produced by the Court Services.... though I found the PDF on the Internet.

"Do I need a solicitor?"

"A friend or relative may be able to help you out with the forms. Or ask at the Citizens Advice Beaureau"

Arogant and self-serving "Public Servants".

There is good and bad in all walks of life. If your JP is also a friend then possibly he is better than some. I also know of one solicitor, at least, that places huge amounts of carefully written advice on divorce into the public domain via the Internet. Some other solicitors will charge you £100's to give you the same advice which you may read almost for free.....

And that, in part, is due to people like PlusNet.
N/A

CCTV spying on kids

PS.... What of that wonderful tool... "The solicitors letter" .... blatent, legalised attempts at intimidation. How many wrong summonses are issued each year by local councils and others who we pay to do a job which they do ineptly and with outstanding incompetence? How many people's daily lives are filled with worry that they may have done something wrong or illegal? Thank God (choose your own) that I am not easily intimidated.