cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Castle Donnington

LiamM
Grafter

Castle Donnington

Split from "PayAsYouGo" in Customer Feedback.

Castle Donnington eh? I'll be coming up around your way beginning of June for a weekend Wink
11 REPLIES
N/A

Castle Donnington

Not for the event when the local retailers put the prices up 50% for the visitors? Cheesy

Tip if you've not been before... Bring your drink and food with you, if you can...
LiamM
Grafter

Castle Donnington

Hmmm yeah I know it's a rip off.

I'm a regular at these things. Whats the local stance on having it going on nearby? Do you get much disruption?

For those of you who have no idea what I'm on about - http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk
N/A

Castle Donnington

If you don't like things like this going on, you shouldn't move to the village is the more sane take on it. I personally moved to Castle Donington because I loved being near the racing cars for the weekends.

The Download Festival is funny - it's a rather strange assortment of people you find in the local Co-op which startles the grannies. Depending on which way the wind is blowing you can hear the festival perfectly well all over the village. Generally it's no bother - the worst of it is the one way systems that the police set up without telling us where they are sending us and the shops taking a week to recover stocks, so you have to drive to Long Eaton or Derby to get milk.

The bikes (GP and superbikes) are worse, as the traffic for those is a nightmare. A large proportion of the festival visitors come by public transport or coach trips, so it isn't so much of an issue.

For last year's GP they had twice the number of people they expected so the traffic cops and diversions were useless. We were trapped in all weekend.
LiamM
Grafter

Castle Donnington

Just how far is the local Co-Op from the festival site? I must say that when I went last year I didnt venture off-site at all. It appeared to be in the middle of nowhere. I arrived by Public Transport, but this year will probably drive.

Fortunately I get to go as a VIP, so I don't have to put up with the horrible toilets!
N/A

Castle Donnington

About a mile and a half downhill, and feels like 5 1/2 back up again... The major consolation is the, er, 5 pubs on the direct path down the hill, and about a dozen if you go around the houses.
LiamM
Grafter

Castle Donnington

Ooooh.... sounds good.... so, £5 a pint is it? Wink
N/A

Castle Donnington

For that weekend, definitely, and more when it starts to run dry!

The Cross Keys usually does a good pint. Never liked the Moira or Turks Head. For food, nothing beats the Nags Head.
N/A

Castle Donnington

I arrived by Public Transport, but this year will probably drive

Lol, try not to arrive on a Friday afternoon, the traffic congestion at the A50/M1 and Airport junctions can be a nightmare on a normal Friday. With a concert on it's hell.
LiamM
Grafter

Castle Donnington

I may well have to look into those hehe... though I won't want to miss too many bands since the lineup is looking rather healthy.
LiamM
Grafter

Castle Donnington

Lol, try not to arrive on a Friday afternoon, the traffic congestion at the A50/M1 and Airport junctions can be a nightmare on a normal Friday. With a concert on it's hell.

Yeah, it starts on the Friday this year, so I reckon I'll probably leave really early Thursday morning, get a good camping spot and trot off to the pub.

Last year they had evening entertainment (in the form of naked ladies and more) for the night before the actual event started, since most people set up camp the day before.
N/A

Castle Donnington

And the traffic cops love setting up speed traps through Breedon-on-the-Hill and thereabouts over the weekend, too.