cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Wash Damage

N/A

Car Wash Damage

I would be interested to hear from anyone whose had their vehicle damaged in a car wash and then been politely but firmly fobbed off by the proprietors.

Please take a look at www.overboard.plus.com for what happened to me.

Any reasonable, legal suggestions on how to name and shame would be welcome.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Car Wash Damage

Have you tried posting on the usenet uk.legal.moderated group.
Could be worth it for an opinion.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Car Wash Damage

Working for a major supermarket I send away the liability reports for our carwash but I can't really comment! But I will have a look into it and see if any of our procedures might be able to help you or if I can get any contacts.

Does anyone know if Citizens Advice would deal with this?
theharveyfamily
Grafter

Car Wash Damage

My wife got compensation from a Supermarket when her car was damaged by a car wash.

Basically the supermarket was neglegent - They failed to close an access door on the car wash. While her car was being washed the door opened, embeded its self into her door and dented is quite badly before realising it had a jam of some kind and grinding to a halt. Fortunately turning off the water.

She had to get out of the car from the passenger side. The staff could quite clearly see her car sat half washed, leaning at an odd angle in the middle of the car wash. They had to manually reverse the car wash mechanism in order to free the car (and the kids).

They paid for the repairs, but still denied liability.
Community Veteran

Car Wash Damage

I have had a similar experience with a big high street name, when a sign blew over onto my car. They paid for the damage in full but “Without prejudice”.
For them it is just another cost of ding business, and good value compared to losing a customer.

However with a smaller company, things are different. You may need to start threatening small claims court action on them, to focus their minds.

Chilly
N/A

Car Wash Damage

Having worked in the motor trade in a mainstream garage where a mechanical car washer was in use .I recall a notice which denies laibility and informs customers that they use the washer at their own risk .I have seen the same notice in several supermarket washers and other places across the country since .I think most places have the same none liability clause somewhere ..What there should also be is a warning that the brushes can seriously damage your vehicle .I have seen windows crack etc also are you aware that if the car in front of you has any loose rust that can be picked up in the brush and does it make a very good paint scraper also windscreen wipers come of very easily and they make a right mess.I prepared new cars for customers ,Personaly I have always used a bucket and hose .

My dislike of comercial car washers is my own opinion and not advice.
N/A

Car Wash Damage

I'd advise going to one of the handwash places if you don't have time to do it yourself.

It only costs around a fiver and helps fund illegal immigration. Wink
chrisco
Grafter

Car Wash Damage

Ha, you've noticed as well. Tongue