Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance

jabb0
Grafter

Car Insurance

Heya,

I am gettin my drivin lisence shortly, well workin on it,
Thing is the insurance is prolly gonna cost as much as damm car is gonna cost, and i dont exaclty have alotta doh to throw around.

I would like to to know within the accuracy of a few hundred £'s how much the insurance is gonna cost - i dont want an exact quote - i cant get an exact quote cos i aint got the car yet, and he thing is the cost of the insurance is prolly gonna determine the car i will get.

So i am at a bit of a vicious circle here.
Would there be anyone out there who could help me get an idea of ROUGHLY how much my insurance could cost?

As i said above getting a quote is realy possible at the minute - i am more looking for some advice and a little knowledge... Please Help!!!!
19 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Car Insurance

You'll need to give a lot more information if anyone here is going to even guess at a possible quote, such as your age & where you live. Your best bet is to get a few quotes from online insurance brokers, just try different cars & see what they come up with. I'll get the ball rolling by recommending Tesco Insurance
jabb0
Grafter

Car Insurance

Yeah i jus wanted to see if there was anyone out there, before writing my life story mate.

I am 23, male, live in N.Ireland (this definitly aint gonna help me) in a small rurual village where crime is practically non existent - in fact any sort of excitiment is practically non existant hence the NEED for a car, still an L driver but workin on and will ave my Full licence before i get my car.
Used ride a motorcycle, but not sure if this will have any relevance.
Student full time
Web designer Part time
No previous accidents [that have been recorded] ;-)

And i am just looking for something with 4 wheels, although a 206 would be nice. Dont care if the top speed is only 30mph, cos its better than beggin for lifts everywhere.

Insurance works offa groups or summit dont it?
Is there anywhere that offers more info, and perhaps let me compare cars and find which group they may be in - which hopefully could lead me somehwere, where i could find price ranges fro groups - if there is such a thing.

As i said above i only really need to know what it is gonna cost t the accuracy of a few hundred pounds - like am i talkin bout 1 grand, 2 grand etc. (you would think i am not the only person in this situation - but i ave searched an come up with natta, didly squat)

And i dont particularly like givin so much info away about myself willy nilly on alotta websites - i dont even intend to get insurance online - cos i dont think theres gonna be anyone who would even think about givin me a GOOD DEAL.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Car Insurance

And i dont particularly like givin so much info away about myself willy nilly on alotta websites - i dont even intend to get insurance online - cos i dont think theres gonna be anyone who would even think about givin me a GOOD DEAL.

If you want anywhere near a realistic quote you're going to have to answer some questions. I'm not aware of any tables that give rough quotes based on insurance groups.

You'll also get a much better deal online than you will with any high street broker.
jabb0
Grafter

Car Insurance

Ok so i am still at a dead end here.
I am unable to tell if the insurance is gonna cost 1 grand or 2 million, i think what i need to do is to go an make a friend who has experience in this field, someone who can look at me and my [potential] car and give a rough estimate, its not rocket science.

I just dont want to be left in the situation where i go an buy my nice new [second hand] car costing thousands, to go an get a quote only to find out i need to spend the next few month staring at my nice new [second hand] car not being able to drive it because i have to keep saving for the insurance.

The only other alternative i have is to save up the UNKOWN amount of dosh. Which is a bit difficult.

Also the insurance is gonna determine the car, not vice versa - this is what happens when insurance is soooo expensive - it could prolly end up costing as much as the car - thankyou cloudmaster for your help, but it hasnt been helpful - i have been through this whole process of getting online quotes for a mate who was renewing his insurance, and they were defintly terrible - he saved £00's on the high street in comparison.
holdtight
Grafter

Car Insurance

If you want a rough idea go to www.confused.com as they will give you a list of various brokers and there prices but your going to need to answer questions and get your quote done using a cars details so you are going to need to have an idea of what car you will have, you wont get a quote without this

i got my insurance through them online and did the final bit over the phone ended up saving me over £250 off the best quote i had got elsewhere
Brickinit
Grafter

Car Insurance

your best bet would be to think of a few cars 950cc fiesta, puegeot 106
1300 nova clio, a rough year for each, have a look around for cars in your price range,and phone a few brokers to give a quote on each. bear in mind you are most likely to bump/scratch your motor in the first 6 months, bit like learning to ride a bike,you fall off a few times, get better, get too cocky and fall off again. might pay you to get a crappy car under your budget to start of with and keep saving for something better later on. i know everyone would like a nice car from the off. but trust us older ones on this one. and happy motoring.
malc
Denzil
Grafter

Car Insurance

I can recommend NFU Mutual, good rates and friendly service. Find your local agent and ring them up. I would agree with buying a cheap car to start with. If you have a bump it will be cheap to fix. If you don't have any bumps you will build up a good record and get cheaper insurance in a few years. Premiums will go down as you get older, anyway.

Stick with small, popular European cars. All older cars are potentially unreliable and parts and service tend to be cheaper.
LiamM
Grafter

Car Insurance

Do you not have to be a member of the NFU to use them?
jabb0
Grafter

Car Insurance

cheers

Checked out confused.com
Just what i was looking for...
Looks like i am talkin from about 1500 up - was all i was lookin for, somewhere to start, a figure to aim towards - looks like somwhere round the £4500 all in all to get on the road - although am sure with a bit of persistence i can do a lil better on both the car and the insurance - tax is almost negligable in comparison.

one last question - what are your thoughts on going 3rd party instead of fully compHuh

I ws on a motorcyle a few years back, until a dude who lives quite close to me, was as blind as stevie wonder - old as father christmas -and didnt know what braes or indicators were for decided to run me down... thankfully i bounced not broke, was still dam sore tho - my soliicitor told not to say anything to the insurance company - i didnt, the dude neva came back at me, not that he had a leg to stand on...
do i tell my new insurers about this?
LiamM
Grafter

Car Insurance

Don't tell your insurance...

Depends on the price of the car as to whether you wanna go fully comp or third party. If you don't mind losing the car as it's really crappy, then go third party, otherwise, fully comp.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Car Insurance

I'd still recommend going to Tesco Insurance (see my link in earlier post). I tried Confused & Tesco was £50 cheaper than the cheapest quote Confused found.
N/A

Car Insurance

I recomend Churchill.

I saved £..... Oh christ, I'm souding like the advert.

Seriously though, Churchill saved me hundreds compared to the nearest quote.

I am also going to take my Pass Plus, which will get me 30% of my premium back (less any months used). I am getting my Pass Plus at cost price (certificate pack & petrol), due to knowing my instructor through a friend, however, even at full price, I would still get more back than I would shell out.

I live in a area with high premiums. All because this town is full of money, not because of a high crime rate (we have 4 footballers alone only 1 mile from our house. Rooney *SPIT* and Gerrard).

I also hope to move house soon, to an area where the premiums are less than 45% of those in this area. As you can imagine, a saving is huge proportions.

My advice though, get quotes. You are not legaly bound to purchase them.
Try getting hold of the registration plate of the car. This will normaly help identify the car without the need to input the details yourself, which may be incorrect anyhow.

The one thing that stops many people from attempting quotes is the key phrase "You are the registered keeper of the vehicle" in the questions that are asked prior to getting the quote. Well, yes, you muct be if you wish to purchase the incurance you are quoted for, that doesn't mean a quote can't be obtained for it though. What they gonna do, refuse custom because somebody was looking at the price label prior to purchase?

Also consider your occupation (confused the hell out fo me).
I am currently unemployed and had considered self-employment, so I obtained quotes accordingly.
To quote the exact figures (still written down).
Unemployed £674
Skilled and/or Manual labourer £697

How the hell is it cheaper to insure those out of work, to insure those in work. I admit, many people descriminate those out of work, with all the stereotypes under the sun, but this insurance quote sure showed me no discrimination.

However, I am now on training courses, that are due to continue for some time, even once in employment. They are recognised by the government, so officialy, I can call myself a student.
Student £649

Scratching my head some more now. Male driver, under 25 years old, with a valid licence under 1 year and currently a student. Are they not nromaly all the hallmarks of a bad driver? Are they not all the hallmarks of those the government class the most likely to have a crash?

Hands up if you are also scratching your heads.
jabb0
Grafter

Car Insurance

yip scratching a big hole in me noggin right now, however also currenlty laffin me nuts off. Great help guys cheers - time to get the hea down and the bank balance up a notch or two.

Cheers
Denzil
Grafter

Car Insurance

Slightly late but hey...

You don't have to be a member of the NFU. I'm not, and I get both car and house insurance through them.