cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capt. Eric Moody

Community Veteran

Capt. Eric Moody

Was anyone listening to Paul Miller on BBC Local Radio (BBC Oxford, Berkshire, Solent, Southern Counties and Kent) last night? Did you hear the interview with Captain Eric Moody - what did you think?

I was a bit concerned about listening as I am flying on a 747 in just over a week but I think it shows how proffesional flight crews are!
10 REPLIES
N/A

Capt. Eric Moody

what airport are you going from?
Community Veteran

Capt. Eric Moody

Heathrow to Miami why?
N/A

Capt. Eric Moody

just wondering
N/A

Capt. Eric Moody

Don't forget, if the pilot and co-pilot have white stcks scream like hell towards the end of the runway! :lol:
LiamM
Grafter

Capt. Eric Moody

Hehe lol.

I recently went to Hollywood, and flew from Heathrow (LHR) to Los Angeles (LAX) with United Airlines.

We had the worst turbulence that I had ever experience, and what made it worse - was listening into the Air Traffic Control channel on the onboard entertainment system (you could actually listen into the cockpit / air traffic control).

Going over was pretty bumpy. But coming back, it was so rough that we were being thrown about all over the place and the flight crew were ordered to sit down immediately. It was rough pretty much the whole journey, but in the middle there was about a 45minute extremely rough spell.

But listening to the ATC with my headphones while it was all going on was very scary. They kept trying to work out why it was happening, and how they could get out of it. "OK, try climing to 41,000ft and report back" etc... and then "we're trying to climb but it's getting rougher and causing us some problems". The pilot was describing it as "Extreme Chop".

I can't describe how I felt when the ATC said "OK, do you want to try descending down to 30,000ft?" to which the pilot replied "Affermative". It was the way she (yes, woman pilot) said the word Affermative that really got me worried! It was kinda like "oh dear god yes we definately want to do that".
Community Veteran

Capt. Eric Moody

Are you lot trying to put me off flying for life? Please don't I fly to scotland extremley regularly.
N/A

Capt. Eric Moody

Don't worry ... most turbulance while unpleasant isn't a threat to most large aircraft Just don't be a glider in that sort of turbulance - you tend to lose your lunch rather rapdily...

(My glider instructor flew Tornados for a day job so took me up in a gale which was just on the limits for safety - scary in a glider when you're pointing one way and going the other due to the wind Smiley )
Community Veteran

Capt. Eric Moody

I know that but tales of extreme turbulence and:

Don't forget, if the pilot and co-pilot have white stcks scream like hell towards the end of the runway! :lol:

Which I fear is all to possible with current "Equal Opportunities" laws not to say I am against equal opportunities, but you need to use common sense I don't somehow think it would be practical for a Visually Impaired person to fly a commercial 747 - if only because of passenger's concerns.
N/A

Capt. Eric Moody

Ah, you see I was referring to a joke posted earlier. sorry to confuse you.
Community Veteran

Capt. Eric Moody

I guessed it was a joke but still it doesn't inspire me with confidence! :roll: