cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send files with MSN Messenger

N/A

Can't send files with MSN Messenger

Has anybody had this problem?
I am trying to send pictures or files across to my friend using MSN Messenger while we are chatting.
I have done this before with no problems using Freeserve.
But now that I am on this ADSL with Plus.net I can't send files (but I can receive them OK)
I keep getting an error message stating

" We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers."

I have phoned the helpline of Plus.net and all they seem to do is advise me to put my pictures on my website so my friend can download them from there.

I find this unaceptable as I transfer files with KAZAA Lite and Direct File sharing with no problems.

Anybody had this problem ? or have any idea's of how to solve it?

I have Zonealarm running, and I have disabled this but it still will not work?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Droflas (UK).
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Can't send files with MSN Messenger

> Has anybody had this problem?

Hi Colin,

I have recently started to use MSN Messenger.
Initially I had the same problem as yourself, but I soon realised ZoneAlarm was causing the "block". After shutting it down completely I was then able to send files during a chat.

I appreciate that I use a 56K dialup on 0808, but I shouldn't think that's relevant.

Hope that helps you.

Dave W
N/A

Are you using a direct adsl modem connection or a routed connection.

If it's a NAT-based router, then Messenger doesn't work with these as it's protocols suck (MS problem).

Otherwise, it could still be Zonealarm as I had no end of problems with it. I've given up and moved to Norton.

> Has anybody had this problem?
> I am trying to send pictures or files across to my friend using MSN Messenger while we are chatting.
> I have done this before with no problems using Freeserve.
> But now that I am on this ADSL with Plus.net I can't send files (but I can receive them OK)
> I keep getting an error message stating
>
> " We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers."
>
> I have phoned the helpline of Plus.net and all they seem to do is advise me to put my pictures on my website so my friend can download them from there.
>
> I find this unaceptable as I transfer files with KAZAA Lite and Direct File sharing with no problems.
>
> Anybody had this problem ? or have any idea's of how to solve it?
>
> I have Zonealarm running, and I have disabled this but it still will not work?
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Droflas (UK).

wilinsonbell

> i have sent very large files using msn and i have adsl and had no problem, just to let you know it can be done

Roll eyes:
N/A

> > i have sent very large files using msn and i have adsl and had no problem, just to let you know it can be done
>
>
> Roll eyes:

But has it been done behine a NAT network / firewall?
N/A

> > > i have sent very large files using msn and i have adsl and had no problem, just to let you know it can be done
> >
> >
> > Roll eyes:
>
> But has it been done behine a NAT network / firewall?

I use a software firewall, with ADSL, and quite often use MSN messenger to send files. The only problem I have ever had is with WIndows XP so I dumped it!