cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI???

N/A

CGI???

Could anyone explain to me what CGI applications actually are?
I've heard this word going around for a while and have always been interested.

Cheers
1 REPLY
nik

RE: CGI???

> Could anyone explain to me what CGI applications actually are?
> I've heard this word going around for a while and have always been interested.
>
> Cheers

> Could anyone explain to me what CGI applications actually are?
> I've heard this word going around for a while and have always been interested.
>
> Cheers

In a nutshell... a cgi application is able to construct a web page on the fly and serve it to you, based on your input. The input might be through a post method (fill in a form on a web page), or by parameters added to the addres, e.g. www.abc.com/cgi-bin/dothis.pl?parameter="thisthing+thatthing";

The web server knows that "dothis.pl" is a cgi script (in Perl) and not a normal file (html page, image, etc.) so it executes it. Whan a script its executed, it "prints out" the web page, filling in bits as it goes on. A script can do almost anything and make any type of page.

CGI applications can do things like access databases (say to retreive user information or product details) and make log files on the server. Perl is a common language for cgi scripts, and PHP is very funky. Look it up on the web.

You will have encountered cgi-based things whenever you have use search engines, forums, ecommerce and just about everything else on the web that does something.