N/A

CGI forms

I am using the standard f9 form, with the following code:

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://homepages.force9.net/cgi-bin/form">
<!-- and -->
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="recipient" VALUE="return@address.com">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="subject" VALUE="Feedback">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="realname">

The form works with two fields; is it possible to get it to work with more than two fields?
Any help much appreciated!
David
4 REPLIES
N/A

CGI forms

Personally, I feel the Force9 page on the CGI Email Form Script could be improved.

For example, it makes no sense for that hidden field, name="realname", to be hidden, for you want the user to enter his name in the field. So something like
    <p>
    Your Name in Full:<br />
    <input type="text" id="realname" name="realname" size="30" maxlength="50" />
    </p>
would be more appropriate.

You could also make the "subject" field a text field rather than a hidden field, which would allow the user to provide his own subject. Obviously, which you use depends on the purpose of the particular form.

And to answer your question: yes, you can have as many fields as you need.

[Edit: Corrected 'length="30"' to 'size="30"'.]
N/A

CGI forms

The "realname" field is actually used as the Real Name for the From: Address.
N/A

CGI forms

Exactly, so it makes no sense for it to be hidden! The Force9 web page doesn't give it a value, either, because the name of the user cannot be known up-front. Having that field as hidden is just plain silly.

Actually, there was an error in what I wrote: the attribute I meant was "size" not "length"!
N/A

CGI forms

OK, I manged to confuse myself. I thought the realname was the name of the Recipient. I think I should go back to bed.