cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI & SSL

N/A

CGI & SSL

Cry I am trying to run Actinic Catalog on the Force9 site which I have successfully set up unfortunatly it seem that you cannot use SSL and run Actinic Catalog Securely on Force9 Servers, so the only alternative is to look at changing my ISP, which I think, is stupid as I have been with force9 for many years and up till now have been very happy. It may be that the system needs changing to allow SSL on the cgi-bin as you would probably find you would have a lot more Business. If there is no way I can resolve this can you let me have information on any E.commerce product will work on the Servers with the security that I require.

Regards

Patrick Kirkland
6 REPLIES
N/A

CGI & SSL

You don't need to change your ISP, you could just buy web hosting from one of the many thousands of companies available who will provide SSL.
N/A

CGI & SSL

That ok but why should I have to spen mored money because my ISP cannot provide what I want.

Regards
re-create-it
Grafter

CGI & SSL

I just came on the forum to ask exactly the same. I am planning on implementing an osCommerce php store for someone who uses F9 as a ISP. This would mean I need to run SSL on the cgi server...

I have set up similar on another host and that is what I currently use for my store - hosting for the site and F9 for the ADSL. Still rolls up as cheaper than most of the competitions ADSL alone but that is not the point. I have to spend £100 p/a for hosting plus £50 for a SSL certificate (both plus VAT) on top of the F9 service.

Is it definately not possible to run SSL on the cgi server?
N/A

SSL

Hi

Why is it that F9 is not as Business orientated as other isp’s. I want to run Actinic Catalogue on F9 but I also whish to use my Domain Name, but F9 will not let me because the CGI & has a different server.

Regards

Pat Kirkland
re-create-it
Grafter

CGI & SSL

You can still use your domain name under the F9 CGI system but not with a www prefix.

You can get your domain name mapped to your CGI server so that your sites work as follows:
www.domain.co.uk
cgi.domain.co.uk
I have used an .htaccess file to redirect all requests for a www page to the root of the cgi domain. Therefore you can still give out your domain name as the www version without people saying 'cee-gee-what?'

The only effect is then in the browser bar and any favourites. Still not perfect but better than nowt once you are signed up with F9.
re-create-it
Grafter

CGI & SSL

Reading this page
http://portal.f9.net.uk/supportpages.html?MpogzekDc9w%3D&Example_Session=ed55bc63c301e9ea28c6cac56b9...
it would imply that you can protect your CGI scripts with SSL. :?

However, I tried the https:// bit on the plain www version of my 'site' and got my site - but no padlock. Sad

Anyone know a definative answer on SSL implementation on F9 -or how to find out?