cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulletin Board

N/A

Bulletin Board

Hello

Has anyone setup a bulletin board on their Force 9 account using software such as Invision Board, or Ikonboard?

I am thinking about doing this but wondered if it was a mission impossible!

Thanks in advance for any information.

Colin
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Bulletin Board

> Hello
>
> Has anyone setup a bulletin board on their Force 9 account using software such as Invision Board, or Ikonboard?
>
> I am thinking about doing this but wondered if it was a mission impossible!
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.
>
> Colin

Basically invisionboard won't work (without some modification) as Force9 doesn't allow us to run DROP TABLE commands, so the installer fails.

I did used to run an ikonboard no problems although you have to make sure that you put all html content outside the cgi bin, look back through this forum, I posted advice on how to get it to work around 6 months ago.

I also got phpbb2 to work (although I haven't tried the latest version of that), and the control panel isn't the best either.

So yeah ikonboard and phpbb2 work fine (haven't tried the php ikonboard lite though), but when I tried invisionboard (version 1.0) it didn't work so I got another host. That said invisionboard is now on version 1.1 which has a lot of behind the scenes changes so it may well install OK now.
Sword
Grafter

I have a couple of phpBB2 boards on various accounts - I think they look and work fine, and I can't remember them being any trouble to set up!

E-mail me if I can be of any further help.

Regards,
Sword
N/A

> I have a couple of phpBB2 boards on various accounts - I think they look and work fine, and I can't remember them being any trouble to set up!
>
> E-mail me if I can be of any further help.
>
> Regards,
> Sword

Hi chaps

Thanks for the advice - I downloaded phpBB2 and this is now running. You can see it at www.colskinet.force9.co.uk - obviously in its early stages!

Cheers

Colin
N/A

help with phpbb2

Hi
I've loaded phpBB2 but when I try to install it I get "Internal Server Error". Before I start irritating Force9 can I check with any of you who have done this before that I've not done anything stupid.

What I've done:
basically followed the quick install stuff which is to:
FTP'd all of the phpBB2 structure into a folder in cgi-bin and made everything 755.
Made config.pfp 777.
browsed to http://cgi.<myself>.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/<installdir>/install/install.php

This should be the setup screen but instead I get the above error.

Any ideas? - thanks
Bob
Sword
Grafter

Bulletin Board

Try installing it outside of the cgi-bin. That normally does the trick.

Sword
N/A

Bulletin Board

> Try installing it outside of the cgi-bin. That normally does the trick.

Thanks Sword, do you mean I should make the phpBB folder in the same folder as cgi-bin? I'll try that tonite. Why is this different?
Bob
Sword
Grafter

Bulletin Board

After you ftp in to your cgi account, just create a new phpbb folder there.
I don't know the whys and wherefores of this I'm afraid, only that it works!

S.
N/A

Bulletin Board

Ok done it and as you say it works fine. Thanks Sword.

Of course, if I'd've read the PHP support pages first I'd have noticed that it says NOT to put the php stuff in the cgi-bin folder! RTFM!

Wonder what's special about the cgi-bin folder?

Bob