cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a website

N/A

Building a website

How on earth somebody, do you create the pages for the links that you have set up on the main page.

For example I have created a link with text called contacts and have called in http://www.username.plus.com./contacts

but where do i actually create this page, or have I got this all wrong?

Timothy
--
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Building a website

> How on earth somebody, do you create the pages for the links that you have set up on the main page.
>
> For example I have created a link with text called contacts and have called in http://www.username.plus.com./contacts
>
> but where do i actually create this page, or have I got this all wrong?
>
> Timothy
>
> --
>
Hi Timothy,
In an attempt to answer your question,I hope I have understood your question correctly?

1)you create the page you want to link to such as contacts.html or contacts.htm

2)from your first or main web page such as index.htm or index.html you create a link. When you create the link in your program (web page editor or webpage creation software such as frontpage or dreamweaver etc)you must specify the "EXACT PATH" and location of one page to another.

so for example if your linking index.htm to contacts.htm you would write in the full path as follows http://www.mywebsite.co.uk/mainpage/contacts

The above then links index.htm to contacts.htm so when a user clicks on the hypertext link it takes them straight to your contacts page. You might need to put a return link or button so that users can navigate back to the previous page though,this just makes your pages much more user friendly for anyone visiting your site.etc.

I hope that helps to explain it (hope I havent confused you completely!!?)

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Building a website

> > How on earth somebody, do you create the pages for the links that you have set up on the main page.
> >
> > For example I have created a link with text called contacts and have called in http://www.username.plus.com./contacts
> >
> > but where do i actually create this page, or have I got this all wrong?
> >
> > Timothy
> >
> > --
> >
> Hi Timothy,
> In an attempt to answer your question,I hope I have understood your question correctly?
>
> 1)you create the page you want to link to such as contacts.html or contacts.htm
>
> 2)from your first or main web page such as index.htm or index.html you create a link. When you create the link in your program (web page editor or webpage creation software such as frontpage or dreamweaver etc)you must specify the "EXACT PATH" and location of one page to another.
>
> so for example if your linking index.htm to contacts.htm you would write in the full path as follows http://www.mywebsite.co.uk/mainpage/contacts
>
> The above then links index.htm to contacts.htm so when a user clicks on the hypertext link it takes them straight to your contacts page. You might need to put a return link or button so that users can navigate back to the previous page though,this just makes your pages much more user friendly for anyone visiting your site.etc.
>
> I hope that helps to explain it (hope I havent confused you completely!!?)
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>
>
> --
>

Futher point I forgot to say!,
Sorry I forgot to say that you need to specify the file name & its extension too, so contacts would need to be written in full as contacts.htm or contacts.html.

Ivan

--
N/A

Building a website

I understood the question to be 'how do I create this page?' easiest way, if you want your pages to have a common look, is to save you index.html as contact.html using 'Save As' function, you can do this over and over for any other pages you want. Save each into the directory you want them to reside in or in the root with index.html.
N/A

All Pages the same

Hello once again,

Just picking up on your point about making all your pages have a similar or standardised feel. One way to do this is to use whats called "cascading style sheets" which most good website editor programs feature. So that a change made to one page of your website cascades down through all your other pages.

So for example if you wanted the page title to always be placed at the top of each page, font size 14 say and say bolded and centred then cascading style sheets would do this for you. A change made to one page is made to all your pages without having to to search through all your pages just to make that one change to it. This is very useful if you have a website with lots of pages.

Ivan
N/A

Re: All Pages the same

Hello once again,

Just picking up on your point about making all your pages have a similar or standardised feel. One way to do this is to use whats called "cascading style sheets" which most good website editor programs feature. So that a change made to one page of your website cascades down through all your other pages.

So for example if you wanted the page title to always be placed at the top of each page, font size 14 say and say bolded and centred then cascading style sheets would do this for you. A change made to one page is made to all your pages without having to to search through all your pages just to make that one change to it. This is very useful if you have a website with lots of pages.

Ivan

Don't confuse him :? Plenty of time for css and php, I think we're talking more basic html here. Anyway, everything's easier in Dreamweaver Smiley
N/A

Dreamweaver YOU must be JOKING!!

Hi passwordpublish,

Yes! OK so you might be right about the required level of knowledge or understanding about website building & HTML useage. But being easier in dreamweaver YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!! frankly you must be joking I have a copy of the latest version of dreamweaver and I'm an experienced user and have built a number of websites and I definately wouldnt say dreamweaver was easy. Yes! easy if you learnt this package in depth but extremely complex otherwise and dreamweaver is NOT a package for a novice or beginner at all, no way!!

Ivan :roll:
Adam1V
Grafter

Building a website

i beg to differ.
I learnt from scratch using Dreamweaver as a complete novice and i have built around 6/7 websites in total now using dreamweaver.

In design mode dreamweaver becomes alot easier.
I think its just basic html knowlege that this chap is missing, as did i when i first started.

Advice i can give you is, if your still struggling, download a webpage template from: http://www.freewebtemplates.com and play about with that in dreamweaver, look at the links, the paths to the images (usually located in a /images folder) and get a good feel with dreamweaver from that.

Adam
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Building a website

I stopped using Dreamweaver when I did the following:

1. Made some simple HTML in Notepad. Came out at about 3KB.
2. Opened it in Dreamweaver.
3. Saved it in Dreamweaver.
4. Checked the file size - 66KB. I kid you not.

Now that was an old version (DW3 I think, haha), but even if it has got better, my memories of it in general (without the 56K-unfriendly file sizes!) wasn't exactly great.

I learnt HTML from stratch, from a book. It's much easier to have a text editor at hand than a WYSIWYG editor... Wink