cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Dropouts

N/A

Browser Dropouts

Hi,
Been having a few intermittent probs where my browsers (IE or Firefox) either stop connecting (Req. close\open browser window) or displays a BT Webpage Saying site unavailable.
Does not happen when PC's\Laptops (4 in total + pda) use any other network.

To try to resolve problem I have done numerous things. eg. Ensured F9 DNS set, flushed DNS, anti virus etc.

Anyway, to assist in my troubleshooting, does anyone know the Force 9 Proxy Server name\Address plus port. Am hoping that hard configuring this in the browser may help.

Have used both "autodetect " and "I connect directly to internet" within browsers. With different results.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Browser Dropouts

or displays a BT Webpage Saying site unavailable.

Are you sure this is A BT webpage? If you use F9 this is odd. Make sure you have removed all reference to proxy servers, you might have done an auto detect in the past which got it wrong and it's trying to use a BT proxy server, which is obviously wrong if you're using using F9.
N/A

Browser Dropouts

Its the BT wholesale webpage reporting that either the connection to my ISP is down, my router is in BT test mode, or my ISP cannot accept my connection request.

I do have an establish link to F9 and am typing this while another browser window sits on the BT page. I am unable to connect to a site I have not visited before.

Its only my webbrowser sessions that get this problem. Other internet based software has no problem connecting.

Im hoping that by entering a valid proxy address, this may resolve the lost connections and lookup problems.

By the way, my network connection is configured to use F9's DNS servers. And im a broadband user.

Thanks.
N/A

Similar problem recently reported Ivan

Hi,

Just to quickly say that I've read another posting in the F9 forum in the last 1 or 2 days reporting a similar problem with a BT web page showing instead. Sorry! I cannot remember who or where it was so you might have to scan through one or two of the forums to find it.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Browser Dropouts

Thanks, I'll take a look.

However, if anyone knows the F9 proxy settings, i'd be interested. May raise a ticket however.
N/A

Browser Dropouts

I wasnt aware that F9 had a HTTP proxy?
N/A

Browser Dropouts

Thanks, I'll take a look.

However, if anyone knows the F9 proxy settings, i'd be interested. May raise a ticket however.

And even if they have, why on earth would you want to use a proxy server?
N/A

F9 doesnt use a proxy server,Ivan

Hi,

Nop!! F9 doesnt use a proxy server as far as I am aware, & I agree with Jarvis why would they need one?

A proxy server is normally used by large companies & business's which want to minimise the bandwidth & traffic being used by client desktop computers requiring internet access. A proxy server or proxy array would cache the most used or popular pages, and save having to create a new internet connection each time. Web pages are retreived from the proxy servers cache instead.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Browser Dropouts

If F9 have no proxy thats fine. Just tring to diagnose why I get my browser sessions hanging when Firefox is configured with connection "Directly connected to internet". When I use connection type "Auto detect proxy" I get the BT Wholesale page intermittently reporting a lost connection with my ISP.
No other internet software has any issues.
The last connection choice was to manually enter a proxy server and thought I may give this a go.
All my PC's work great on other networks, so am going through a procedure of trying anything.

Thanks for your help.
N/A

Browser Dropouts

Is this FF only or IE as well?

Even if you don't use IE it might be worth checking the LAN settings .
N/A

Browser Dropouts

FF & IE.
Have changed my NIC DNS from Router IP to Force9 DNS servers. No change unfortunatley.
N/A

Browser Dropouts

Have you unchecked everting in the LAN section of the IE connection properties?
N/A

resolved

For some unexplained reason, I now have no problems with the browser locking up. It appeared suddenly on all machines on my network, (Inluding PDA) then a couple of weeks ago, ceased happening. I've been quite busy so have not uploaded any patches etc during this time.
Guess this will remain a mystery.

Thanks for everyones help.